Front garden fence

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey Guys,

I bought a house with terrible front garden fence, and i have no idea how to approach it. It is made of concrete, seems solid inside (not bricked) and rendered with pebbles, of which most are missing. Anyone had any luck repairing something like that? Ideally i would like to keep it not to end up with a lot of rubble to dispose off, so although taking into account taking it down and building new one would be nice to fix this one and keep it consistent with other houses on the street.
Some photos below:
https://imgur.com/a/GIa47bI

Sponsored Links
It would look a lot better if the moss/algae was washed off, cracks repaired, and several coats of white paint were added.

It would probably but there are a lot of spots where the pebbles are missing etc.
I was also thinking of painting it with water and cement to keep more of the original look?

First thing would probably be to remove all the growth. Nothing will stay stuck if there is vegetation under it.
Are you intending to render it?? You could probably find someone with the skills needed during lockdown who'd be happy to do it. You could be the labourer

Sponsored Links
I wasn't exactly sure tbh. I have never done any rendering except for a single wall, but could try my luck. Of course i need to wash it properly, would i just apply render on top of the pebbles or would you try to scrape them off first?

You will never scrape those pebbles off. One or two might fall off but they are bedded in and designed to stay there come what may.
Have a walk down the road and see if other walls are in similar condition or if any have been repaired over the years.
It will give you a better idea of how to , solve your problem, or leave as is.
There doesn't seem to be any danger of it collapsing in the near future as these were usually quite solidly built many years ago.
I'd be temoted to wire brush the veg off and then maybe pressure wash it. Trouble with that though is it would probably stand out more against others in the surrounding area.

Hardly anyone on the street did anything to the front garden. Most have some gravel or overgrown front gardens etc. Some put some bushes, some wooden fencing, nothing pretty really. Nobody renovated them. I am trying to make the hoisetlook neat and nice, did some work to front garden like cover the bins with green roof etc and just that fence looks horrible. Looks like i am they only one bothered on a street but still. May try the wire brush, repairs and see where does it take me, but i am afraid after patching it will actually look worse

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back