Front of sliding kitchen drawer has come off

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
The fronts of my sliding kitchen drawers are progressively falling off. The screws that fit into them look just a touch too short, so it's no wonder.

I want to replace the screws with slightly longer ones.

How do I remove the mechanism (in the picture) from the side of the drawer so that I can replace the screws and then put the drawer front back on again? I'm convinced there is a magic combination of the three 'screws' that will allow the mechanism to be removed simply.

Sponsored Links
A front on picture and one of the draw front would be helpful.

Generally the mechanisms are factory fit, and the screws are used just for adjustment.
The draw fronts just generally snap into the mechanism.

Looking at the pictures, it looks like the first section, the darker section is the key component, have a look on the underside of the runners to see if there is a release catch, if not the plastic screw on the front section looks like it quarter turns in clockwise direction, this could help release this part to gain access to the screw fixings.

Sponsored Links
It helps you to get a response if you actually post the pictures with the question rather than expecting potentila responders to go hunting for the pics.....

This is done buy uploading the pictures then cutting the DIYNot BBC Code into the text of the qestion.

In response to your original question I doubt that you'll get longer screws to fit and in due course they'll pull out again in all probability. the screws are large diameter and very coarse. I'd say the best way to proceed is to bore-out the mashed-up screw holes with a Forstner bit (say 20mm or so), cut a appropriately-sized plugs (i.e a near perfect fit) from planed softwood, glue and cramp the plugs into the holes, trim back to the drawer front surface (block plane/flush cut saw/sharp chisel) then reattach your drawer fronts. At least that's how I'd do it

Either use J&Ks suggestion for the repair, or another possible alternative that occurs to me might be threaded inserts of appropriate size screwed into the front, something like these
http://www.ebay.co.uk/bhp/threaded-inserts-wood
and then use machine screws.
Obviously it depends on whether you can drill suitable holes into the front.
Either way don't just use longer screws.

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Thanks JobandKnock, I thought having the album was a bit clunky. Now I know how to insert pictures in the post - much appreciated.

(That said, I got some helpful advice pretty quickly ;) )

Hm, some interesting suggestions for the screws, I'll check out Dave54's suggestion first and may end up with a combination of both of your suggestions. I'll post an update once I have one working.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back