Front timber gate

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a timber gate right at the edge of my property next to the pavement.
It has become old and the wood has been splintering up.

I have had a look around and Wickes seems to sell this for £66.

Looking at the gate, I reckon I can build that on my own. Would it be cost effective to buy separate timber and build it on my own? I have hacksaws and a jigsaw electric saw.

Sponsored Links
I have a timber gate right at the edge of my property next to the pavement.
It has become old and the wood has been splintering up.

I have had a look around and Wickes seems to sell this for £66.

Looking at the gate, I reckon I can build that on my own. Would it be cost effective to buy separate timber and build it on my own? I have hacksaws and a jigsaw electric saw.
You could well spend more on timber than a ready made unless you have tools and time and maybe use pallet timber ( which is free)

Sponsored Links
I would defintely make my own but then I have an electric planer (about £50) and a small table saw ( about £100) - cuts straight lines. Oh and BTW make sure you use pressure treated timber so that it lasts a long time.

The wickes gate is probably the sort of thing that will fall apart in 5 yrs.

Go on, post a photo of your current gate.

You can make a basic picket style gate very cheaply and easily (if you have a few tools)

Get a pallet for free, and make it from that. One with the thick planks.

Or decking boards may be cheaper and are already treated.

Plenty of places, some builders yards especially small independent ones give them away, they're often advertised for free on Marketplace but sometimes they can be rubbish so you have to pick and choose, if something looks a bit rubbish it's probably not worth the trip and btw they can be quite labour intensive to strip down, I can get about 3 in a Golf. I have a pallet buster, without one of those I suspect they'd be pretty hard work to get apart though some come apart nicely and some are a right PITA.

The wood used is rarely the same between pallets so unless you happen across someone with say four identical pallets don't expect to end up with a load of consistent width/thickness/quality usable planks.

I wouldn't have high expectations for free wood. My main interest would be for their strength. With some tooling, I am sure they will all look good. I imagine a jig saw will take it apart quick.

I have two leftover pallets now from deliveries. I will try to make something out of them.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back