Frost and Pipe stat

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
having now decided that a frost and pipe stat combination is right for my installation, I was wondering what a typical setting might be for the pipe stat.

I was thinking about 15 degrees.

The boiler is set to switch off automatically when the water gets to around 45 degrees

Sponsored Links
10 - 15 would be fine

The boiler is set to switch off automatically when the water gets to around 45 degrees
I don't follow that though..?

this was to just say the 'normal' switching off of the boiler will happen at 45 degrees, just in case the water temperature had any relevance. I didnt think it would but you can bet if I hadn't put it there someone would have asked what my boiler switched off at :)

So the frost stat/pipe stat combination will operate the boiler and pump and this will remain active until the return temp gets to 15 degrees. I guess the water in the boiler will never get to 45 degrees in this scenario anyway.

Boiler getting to 45 wouldn't be doing much good in normal use. :confused: :confused:

Yes in frost it wouldn't get there unless the system's enormous!

the normal is to use an atmospheric frost stat to turn boiler on at maybe 5 degrees.
In big sytems you have to consider whether some exposed pipe in eaves or similar could be lower temp than where your stat is.

Sponsored Links
I have only just purchased the property and the previous owner said 40 degrees was sufficient :confused: maybe he was just tight!! I have run the system at around 50degrees and the water pressure rose to about 2.25 bar so I dont think there is an issue with the system. For the winter while we are not there I will turn the boiler down to around 40degrees anyway so it doesnt heat the house, just air it instead. There are no thermostat valves on the system and all but one rad is fully open.

I have a Honeywell 4360 to install alongside the boiler and a pipe stat as the boiler is sited in the coldest part of the house anyway, single story with no insulation on walls or roof. There is nothing in the loft with regard to the heating

As a matter of interest, what would the normal setting be for heating?? I would have thought about 60-70 or maybe a little more in colder weather.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back