Frost Thermostat - Plumber or eelectrician ?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi
I am new to the forum , but have been reading posts and think it is a really good idea.

We have a STUPID boiler, located in the garage with a frost stat. Similar problems to many posts on here and I don't think there is a pipe stat fitted.

My question is -- Should i get an electrician or a plumber to come out ? which would be the best ?

Hope someone can help
Thanks

Sponsored Links
catch 22 a good heating engineer would be best as lots of sparks tend to struggle with heating controls but so do some heating guys.

Not the most helpfull of replies but its how it is

Hi

We have a STUPID boiler, located in the garage with a frost stat. Similar problems to many posts on here and I don't think there is a pipe stat fitted.

Hope someone can help
Thanks

It would be helpful if you could tell us what type/make boiler it is and what the faults are.

Sponsored Links
At a guess reading into the post there is no pipe frost stat fitted and the boiler is staying on for too long on the air stat only.

Sorry
Boiler is ' IDEAL ICOS' ( have read loads of bad stuff about it sadly.)

The problem - Similar to many recent posts sorry - Heating coming on all the time, even when not on the timed program time.

I assumed after some reading that it probably is that the boiler and frost stat are in the garage ( maybe something else ) given the very low temps at the moment.

Today I have lagged the pipes, but can't see any thermostat on the pipe work .

I am worried about how much our gas bill will be ( as i know are most people).

Didn't know who to call. :cry:

Today I have lagged the pipes, but can't see any thermostat on the pipe work . :

A frost stat is usually fitted to an inside wall or in a waterproof box on an outside wall. looks like a room stat.

Today I have lagged the pipes, but can't see any thermostat on the pipe work . :

A frost stat is usually fitted to an inside wall or in a waterproof box on an outside wall. looks like a room stat.
Whats the point of a frost stat on an outside wall? How will it ever detect heat from the boiler that it controls? As well as an air stat you should fit pipe stat and that will prevent he boiler over firing and prevent freezing.

[Whats the point of a frost stat on an outside wall? How will it ever detect heat from the boiler that it controls? As well as an air stat you should fit pipe stat and that will prevent he boiler over firing and prevent freezing.

Now I thought a frost stat detected the drop in the outside air temp at what ever it was set to, say 5C, and at that temp it would over ride the boiler controls and switch it on. :confused: :confused: :?: :?:

[/quote]Now I thought a frost stat detected the drop in the outside air temp at what ever it was set to, say 5C, and at that temp it would over ride the boiler controls and switch it on. :confused: :confused: :?: :?:[/quote]

It needs to detect a rise in the air temp to switch the boiler off or it will run constantly

Robert

If the frost stat is fitted on the internal face of an external wall in a unheated building will it operate as it should?

An external wall can get very cold if it is single skin like my garage wall. I thought maybe the cold of the wall would give a colder temp than fitting on an internal wall. I have rabbit water bottles for my bunnies (who are in the garage at the mo) - one is next to the external wall and the other is in the middle of the space. The bottle near the wall always freezes before the other one and to a greater extent.

I have thought of fitting my frost stat to a peice of ply wood with polystyrene insulation behind it just to insulate it from the effects of the wall. Might get round tuit eventually!

Stat and pipe stat is way to do it if just stat used it should be fitted directly above the boiler that way it will get a chance of being warmed up with boiler firing up

It needs to detect a rise in the air temp to switch the boiler off or it will run constantly

Robert

Absolutely right ;) ;)
It must be fitted near boiler and on the pipework and NOT outside otherwise the boiler will run and run.Just think about it.If the outside temp drops to near freezing and remains there all night then the boiler will NEVER shut down. Air stat and a pipe stat just above the boiler is the correct install.

It must be fitted near boiler and on the pipework and NOT outside otherwise the boiler will run and run.Just think about it.If the outside temp drops to near freezing and remains there all night then the boiler will NEVER shut down. Air stat and a pipe stat just above the boiler is the correct install.

Agreed, But what if the boiler is situated in a remote building or basement, that is not going to protect the plant in the main building. The OP did say that the boiler was situated in his garage which could be well insulated. :confused: :confused:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back