Frozen condensate pipes everywhere you go

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Really saving the environment this condensing boiler lark, lost count of how many boilers I have been to now, my Diesel fumes must be adding to the ozone, plus all these kettles of hot water boiling away, plumber I spoke to yesterday said he had been to 10 in a day.
Actually went to a "normal" boiler problem on a non condenser this morning, wow, almost forgot what to do, now I am a dab hand with a kettle, will it be in the next ACS, must need a seperate cert for handling a kettle, well I say normal, couldn't actually find anything wrong with it.

Sponsored Links
I am a dab hand with a kettle, will it be in the next ACS, must need a seperate cert for handling a kettle

It's no joke, eg. Oftec wish to ban kettles for testing fire valves and have endorsed a handy testing device at extortionate cost. As yet they've not suggested a method to prove whether the tester is working.

The best ones are the pipes through the soffit/facias straight into down pipe, love ladder work in this weather.

Really saving the environment this condensing boiler lark, lost count of how many boilers I have been to now, my Diesel fumes must be adding to the ozone, plus all these kettles of hot water boiling away, plumber I spoke to yesterday said he had been to 10 in a day.
Actually went to a "normal" boiler problem on a non condenser this morning, wow, almost forgot what to do, now I am a dab hand with a kettle, will it be in the next ACS, must need a seperate cert for handling a kettle, well I say normal, couldn't actually find anything wrong with it.

Was that a question? :)

Sponsored Links
our condensation pipe froze last friday, it was lagged but not properly (corners were not lagged) and had a smallish pipe which froze.

we've since increased the pipe size and have the pipe running inside the garage, lagged and joining the outside pipe to minimise the amount of pipe exposed to the elements.

is this a design fault for these types of boilers or is it simply case of the pipe work not being installed as efficiently as possible?

is this a design fault for these types of boilers

Size/location of condensate pipe has nothing to do with boiler design.
It is a responsibility of the installer to ensure he takes reasonable steps when running the condensate pipe to minimise the risk of freezing.

It is a responsibility of the installer to ensure he takes reasonable steps when running the condensate pipe to minimise the risk of freezing.

In an ideal world.......................

In an ideal world.......................
There might just be some old skool Plumbers left :rolleyes: Gas fitters :LOL: :LOL: Like I said , stick to the techy stuff . Leave the commonsense stuff to plumbers

In my parents case the waste runs down the other side of the house. Its clearly a case of just lobbing it on the wall and not giving a toss about the punter..... until they get cold weather and then you are long gone :rolleyes:

On steamers, it is not just the condensate discharge this is a problem, ice/ snow at/ on the terminal also an issue

Really saving the environment this condensing boiler lark, lost count of how many boilers I have been to now
It's got nothing to do with the boiler technology; it's the idiot installers of which there are obviously thousands out there. Can't blame them I suppose - there's clearly money to be made clearing up after each other's mistakes.

Mathew

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back