Frozen Engine or Gearbox siezed?

dan the man said:
how the hell anyone who has a car with no anti freeze in this day and age is beyond me. might as well use water for the oil aswell :rolleyes:
Good one that Dan, being a Rover 214 it will have water in the oil as standard.

Sponsored Links
johnwr said:
dan the man said:
how the hell anyone who has a car with no anti freeze in this day and age is beyond me. might as well use water for the oil aswell :rolleyes:
Good one that Dan, being a Rover 214 it will have water in the oil as standard.

well true. K series are shi=oite! too.

Engine now wont start. All water thoughly defrosted. Bought new battery. Engine turns over, but wont start. Theres a strong smell of petrol inside and out. Every now and then it sounds like one cylinder tries to fire, then makes a pop noise, but engine dosen,t start.

Any suggestions what this could be?
Is engine knackered???

50p on a cracked cylinder head?

I presume you don't know anyone who would lend you a compression tester?

Take the spark plugs out and see if they are damp.

Does the water in the rad seem oily?

Are there beads of water on the dipstick?

Have you done anything to the car, since it last worked, except refill the radiator?

Is the car worth more than £500?

Sponsored Links
Dont know any1 with compression tester. How much would it cost for mobile mechanic to do?

No water on dipstick.

Only thing i've done to car is fill back up with water/anti-freeze, and put on a new battery.

Cant get in to see if water in rad is oily, but water in expansion looks fine.

Cars worth bout £800. :oops:

Is it best to get a spark plug and put it individually on each each spark lead to see if its firing?

I fear you have a cracked head (possibly a cracked block) which is very common after a frozen engine :cry: Nobody ever leaves the antifreeze out more than once. It is possible to fit a replacement if you are an averagely handy home mechanic with the right tools and manual. If you have to pay someone else to do it, and especially if you have to buy new parts instead of using salvaged ones, it might not be economic.

Taking the plugs out for a look will cost you nothing.

You can test for a cracked head with one of these
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...logId=10151&productId=199553&categoryId=31477

Ask your friends and neighbours if they know a mobile mechanic that they would recommend. Try to avoid going down a path that means you pay lots of money to repair a car for more than it is worth. see also
http://motors.search.ebay.co.uk/rover-214_Cars_W0QQcatrefZC12QQfromZR40QQsacatZ9801
It is possible to buy a second-hand engine but it might be worse than the one you've got.

And this one which is actually better and more reliable. As the bodywork is galvanised it is resistant to rust.
http://search.ebay.co.uk/search/sea...0&fpos=PO91SP&saprclo=&saprchi=&fsop=3&fsoo=1

Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
Think i'll just scrap it. Been after buying a van or estate car for while anyway, cheers

The strong smell of petrol suggests to me the plugs may well be wet, hence not firing. Even with a cracked head/block i would still expect it to fire ;) Just a thought, i'm saying check the plugs because i'm assuming its a petrol engine, its not a diesel by any chance is it?? The clicking you hear when trying to start the car may be the starter motor solonoid indicating the starter has jammed!....just a thought.

I think I picked up a clue when he said "strong smell of petrol" :LOL: :LOL:

If the plugs are wet, whats best way to dry them, with hair dryer?

Or is it a case of replace plugs n leads?

Will spraying WD40 on help?

If they are wet with petrol, they will dry out when you take them into a warm place. If they are wet with water, you have a fractured cylinder head and will need to repair the engine (or throw it away).

I poured hot water over rubber pipes when they froze, please read earlier post, so maybe water got onto plugs. Can i dry them off with hairdryer?

JohnD said:
If they are wet with petrol, they will dry out when you take them into a warm place. If they are wet with water, you have a fractured cylinder head and will need to repair the engine (or throw it away).

You need to start somewhere so start as JohnD has advised,take them out and look at them,if unsure or doubtful replace them with new ones.

;)

I agree, if they are wet with petrol they should dry at room temp as the petrol evaporates. If you are fairly new to the auto diy can i suggest you put the plugs back in and tighten by hand first ie: plug socket & extension bar then tighten by hand before you go attacking them with you're ratchet because plugs are all to easy to cross thread in an ally head!! I know i done it many years ago ;)

Engine now sounding like it wants to start but not. Took spark plug out and earthed it engine and it was sparking. so put back in and tried turning it over. It turns over ok, new battery, but dosnt start up.
What can i test/do next?

Sponsored Links
Back