Fuel Blunder

Not unless the engine is using fuel, which it won’t be if it isn’t running. Engine not running = fuel not circulating.

?Surely the fuel has to flow first, so the engine can start?

Sponsored Links
What I did find out when I changed my lift pump was that it didn't actually run until the engine started - I wanted to see the new one run before I closed the tank off - which it didn't, the ignition switch did nothing and it wouldn't start, metered the plug terminals and nothing there - after much frustration and searching for relays and wiring faults I filled up the fuel filter housing - off she went!! I did wonder, with it being a fairly modern car, whether your supposed to do something in VCDS to run a priming sequence.

My diesel has a low pressure pump in the tank, a second one in the engine compartment, then a mechanical HP pump. The electric pumps run 45 seconds after the ignition is turned on, then off, unless the engine is started. It's a saddle shaped tank, so the tank pump serves the dual purpose of pumping to the front, as well as sucking fuel across to where the pump is located.

Sponsored Links
Just had a quick Google, for VW there is indeed a process using VCDS to prime the filter housing, but it appears that manually filling the housing works as well - but not the usual cycling the ignition which we're used to.

Back