Fuel Blunder

Sponsored Links
The system would already be primed, just not pressurised.
I believe all modern, common rail diesels have 2 fuel pumps, a low pressure high volume one close to or in the tank (a.k.a. 'Flow') and the second high pressure one under the bonnet feeding the common rail. Fuel that isn't used by the high pressure pump is returned to the tank as is the surplus in the common rail. Switch the ignition on (for the want of a better word) will start fuel moving in the low pressure pipe work.

Switch the ignition on (for the want of a better word) will start fuel moving in the low pressure pipe work.
Not unless the engine is using fuel, which it won’t be if it isn’t running. Engine not running = fuel not circulating.

Not unless the engine is using fuel, which it won’t be if it isn’t running. Engine not running = fuel not circulating.
Not always fully true. Disconnect fuel pipe with "ignition" on and fuel often flows= pressurised. But the flow returns to the tank.

Sponsored Links
I think you know that if all is as is should be, it will be as I described.
I've been around cars long enough to know things are not always as expected.

Pressurising the system can be enough to cause damage if the wrong fuel is in there. On some vehicles, once that key is turned, it is expensive, very.

The only point I was trying you make is to the OP. Turning the key may have already incurred damage.

The recovery and flush he mentioned may be good value depending on what any guarantee covers

No experience. The guarantee will be along the lines of: done to required procedure. If the engine blows, that's at your own risk.

There may not be an option of not using a paid service. I don't see how else you can dispose of the contaminated fuel.

Is this a difficult job and something I can do (heating engineer so may have some necessary skills for a drain down )
Try a siphon first.. If you push the pipe all the way til it stops but no resistance when you suck on the end of the pipe, there will likely be an anti-siphon mesh in the filler pipe

No experience. The guarantee will be along the lines of: done to required procedure. If the engine blows, that's at your own risk.

There may not be an option of not using a paid service. I don't see how else you can dispose of the contaminated fuel.
£25 of fuel isn't that much. Half or a full tank does become a much bigger issue to store, especially if at home.

Not sure of the limits off hand but there is a legal limit at home

I did this a few years back, stupid bint parading around the forecourt in heels and a tight skirt... I got confused and pumped 55 litres of petrol into the diesel tank, 3 miles down the road splutter splutter pop, and then the van conked out

Had to get the wife to tow me home (didn't mention the bint at the filling station) Siphoned it all out throogh the pickup pipe under the bonnet, this is the pipe what transfers fuel from tank to engine. This took forever, 12 gallons is a lot of liquid, had to push the van onto the lawn and dig a hole to get the container below the level of the tank

Poured some diesel in, bled the pump, and it all worked just fine (old style diesel engine)

Bloke with a gardening business bourght about 10 gallon off me for a knock down price, and I put the rest through my own grass cutter and chain saw, so not a complete loss.

Sponsored Links
Back