Fuel Blunder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Morning
My Son has just put £25 petrol in his Seat Ibiza 1.6FR diesel with a 35me range of diesel already in the tank.
Luckily he realised before starting it and pushed it to a safe place.
Local (Cardiff) fuel doctors are quoting £300 to drain and flush before he refuels with Diesel.
Is this a difficult job and something I can do (heating engineer so may have some necessary skills for a drain down )
Or is this a fair price and a more sensible approach to use a local fuel Dr.

We do also have RAC recovery cover so although they don't cover this they could recover it to a local garage.

Many thanks

Sponsored Links
If you are happy enough to remove the fuel line from the tank - at the filter - turning the ignition on should start the tank pump and allow the fuel to flow into a suitable drum.
On a common rail, high pressure system such as this one, I would suggest that this is done......on old diesels it really wouldn't matter.
John :)

Last edited:
As Burnerman says above, simple enough to drain the tank, fuel lines etc then purge the system by bleeding.

If its not been run it should be fine.

If you are happy enough to remove the fuel line from the tank - at the filter - turning the ignition on should start the tank pump and allow the fuel to flow into a suitable drum.
Can he do that without lifting the car? I don't imagine a heating engineer would have any kind of lift.

Since the petrol hasn't gone into the lines, is it possible to syphon from the fuel cap? After that, he can fill the tank and syphon again. Though, the disposal then becomes a problem.

Sponsored Links
Pretty sure the AA do it for free. Have you got a friend or relative that has AA personal (any car) cover and has 'borrowed' your car and put the wrong fuel in by mistake? ;)

Can he do that without lifting the car? I don't imagine a heating engineer would have any kind of lift.

Since the petrol hasn't gone into the lines, is it possible to syphon from the fuel cap? After that, he can fill the tank and syphon again. Though, the disposal then becomes a problem.
I meant the filter under the bonnet- but a siphon may be possible.
John

I paid £175 in 2017 to drain the tank when I did the stupid trick. As I had not initiated the pumps (flow and pressure) I didn't have to buy the lubricant additive which would have been another £25.
They siphoned out the tank from the filler; what the chap did say was the he was expecting to have to access the fuel gauge sender if the tank had anti drain in the filler pipe.

Last edited:
Depends how much the car is worth. But the £300 covers a flush as well as drain, doesn't sound that bad if it comes with a guarantee. But not sure what any guarantee would actually cover.

Did your son prime the system, put ignition to on? It's possible the damage, if any, is already done if so. The engine doesn't have to be running to pull the fuel up.

I would just fill up with diesel, so ending up with maybe 3/4 diesel to 1/4 petrol, then carry on.
If it runs it will pour out hoards of white smoke. Enough to attract the rozzers and give you your own mobile smoke screen.

Been there, done that!

I'd be very careful about using any mixed fuel with a common rail high pressure pump - I've seen too many goosed this way, and caused one myself on an Iveco tipper :cry:
Bye bye profit!
Of course, it's up to the individual at the end of the day.
John :)

Sponsored Links
Back