Replacing old boiler with combi in SURREY - ADVICE NEEDED!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I read a few posts and the FAQs etc before posting but I feel I need a bit of advice before I invite BG & a couple of freelance local plumbers/CORGI engineers round for quotes (preparing myself for the inevitable flurry of posts advising me not to touch BG with a 10 foot bargepole but thought I would see what they said anyway).

Now, what I want to do is replace my old boiler with a combi boiler as the first step in getting a loft conversion.

My old boiler is a Potterton Profile 40e, which after a long search on the internet I have established that the 40 indicates the BTUs of 40,000. Which seems rather a lot to me.

This boiler is at least 10 years old (maybe you know when they stopped making this model?) and I'm sure it is highly inefficient and also when something went a bit wrong with it my ex turned a switch which I believe changed it from pumped to gravity fed. (Whatever that means - please do feel free to enlighten me but use very small words!) Since then I can only heat water when the central heating is on, which is obviously a waste of money, especially in the summer, even if the rads are all turned off.

I live in a fairly average sized 3 bed semi-terraced house (one side is fully attached and the other is off-set and only half-attached) and I have 10 radiators. Rads range from about 18in or 24in wide (five of these - in the bathroom, wc, ensuite, hall & kitchen) to 3ft or 3ft 6in for each bedroom and two in the living room. I'll probably add another 3ft rad when I get the loft conversion.

First question is : will a 24kw condensing boiler such as Halstead ACE 24e be sufficient to power the radiators as well as the hot water or should I be looking for a 28 or 30? Although I have a bath & a separate shower in the ensuite I tend not to be washing up when I'm in one of them so unlikely to need to use all of them simultaneously.

Second question :
My current elderly Potterton Profile 40e boiler is mounted in the kitchen and the flue goes straight out through the wall - would I be better to have the new combi in the loft, as I understand that there's some acidic stuff (you can tell how technical I am, can't you?) that needs to drain into a drain. Outside the kitchen is a main drain cover, so can you reassure me that putting the boiler near here will be an easier and cheaper install than putting it in the loft.

Third question : Given all of the above info can you knowledgeable guys tell me roughly how much it is likely to cost to get this boiler fitted and the tank removed? How much work is involved in this? Will the plumber need to take the house apart to run extra pipes everywhere? My old boiler only seems to have two pipes leading to it but the pictures of the combis have 4, can you tell me why? I assume there are separate circuits for heating and water but I'm probably wrong (again, very small words please).

If any of you are CORGI registered and in the Haslemere area of Surrey please contact me if you want to visit and quote for the job.

Fourth question (which is more of a problem really) : there is some overflow from one of the tanks in the loft which is continually dripping out via a plastic pipe at loft height into the garden. Not only is this annoying it can't be good for the garden or the house. Is this likely to be related to the boiler or header tank in the loft?

Finally, the central heating has not been serviced since I moved in about 8 years ago. I'm doing all this on a tight budget being a single mum and hoping I will see my fuel bills drop dramatically. I do plan to get the very best insulation I can afford in the roof part of loft (the usual bit between the joist is already pretty well insulated).

I thought that the cost of getting the system serviced and the annoying drip sorted out would probably come close to getting the boiler replaced so the sensible thing to do would be combine all these jobs in one & go for the new combi set up in one go.

What should I be asking the BG guy as I'm sure he will turn up & try and blind me with science then give me a quote of around £1500 to £2000.

Any advice will be very much appreciated. I tried to mention everything I thought could be relevant but if there's something I missed out ask and I'll do my best to answer it.

Thanks for sticking with this unreasonably long post! :confused:

Sponsored Links
Don't tell us you're poor and are having a loft conversion done!

Move the switch back to "gravity hot water". It's behind the bottom part of the boiler cover.
Yes of course it's more ££ to put the boiler in the loft. At least double your estimate. 3 or 4 times for BG.
40,000 Btu/hr is only about 12 kW.
The 24 in a combi spec is 24kW.

If going for a combi you need to be looking at leat for the 28-30 Kw size, as with the 24 you will be all night running a bath.

Sponsored Links
Hi,

1. Go for a 28 or 30KW combi, a 24 is a little small.

2. No need to put it in the loft.

3. Cost will be impacted by existing pipework. Depends if you have a 1 or 2 pipe heating system. I can't be sure from your discription. With a 1 pipe system the hot water leaves the boile goes into the first rad, then leaves that rad and goes into the second rad etc. A 2 pipe system has a hot pipe that feeds each Rad and a second Return pipe that take water out of each Rad. If you have a one pipe system I recommend you switch to a two pipe as this is far more efficient - but this will take more time and effort to replace. If you have a 2 pipe system I would estimate the cost to be about £1,500 + Boiler. A 1-pipe to be £2,500 + boiler.

4. Don't worry about the overflow. When you have the boiler replace have the plumber switch all your cold taps to a direct supplie and he can remove both the hot and the cold tank. (No tank,no overflow).

I do a lot of my own plumbing, as I am a traind plumber, but I leave work like this to a Corgi man. Anything to do with boilers always go Corgi. I know of a very good guy in your area. Send me your email address to *********************and I will have him contact you, if you like.

Rgds Colin

**************** = Pls see forum rules. Mod

why has no one asked what the flow rate of the mains is? in haslemere there are a lot of properties where you could tiddle faster than the mains supply.

I have been to lot of inappropriately installed combis in the haslemere/hindhead area because of this so get it check ASAP before spending a fortune on any sized Combi.

I wouldn't be so hasty to write BG off. A couple of months ago I set about getting some quotes for a brand new CH system for my 1 bed flat (4 rads). I got quotes from two independants and two national co's - BG and Scottish Hydro. The independents came in at around £2.5k + VAT and 600+VAT for scaffolding, these were ESTIMATES. Scottish Hydro came in at £4900 inc VAT and BG came in at £4200 inc VAT - both QUOTES.

Both Scottish Hydro and BG were quoting for a WB 24i Junior Combi, in fairness the independents were quoting for a Baxi 32kw unit. I had been told by many people that BG were expensive (including all the other plumbers who came round) but I think you'll agree its not the huge price difference that most on here would have you believe exists. I was impressed at the fact that the BG rep was the only one who bothered to take measurements of the rooms to size the rads (and as a result out of all the quotes he proposed the biggest rads) and measured the water flow rate and pressure. The BG quote also includes a Magnaclean which he demonstrated and I was pretty impressed with.

Add in the back up that a national company offers and so I was sold on the BG option.

Its worth noting however that my location probably has an effect on price (although Aberdeen is generally pretty expensive) and that I made it clear that I had had other quotes before the BG quote so perhaps he took that into consideration when applying any discounts that he might have had available.

HTH

A three bed house with a planned loft extension AND a one bedroom flat!

No wonder you are are on a tight budget!

Your BG quote was about 33% more than the independents! Since BG can buy the boiler and radiators cheaper than us independents and pay us contractors at standard rates then their price is really surprisingly high until you remember that they have their shareholders to satisfy.

Tony

A three bed house with a planned loft extension AND a one bedroom flat!

No wonder you are are on a tight budget!

Your BG quote was about 33% more than the independents! Since BG can buy the boiler and radiators cheaper than us independents and pay us contractors at standard rates then their price is really surprisingly high until you remember that they have their shareholders to satisfy.

Tony

I think you've confused me with the OP......

And 2500+600 = 3100 + 17.5% = 3642.50 which leads to BG's quote being 15-16% over the independents, not 33%!

Don't tell us you're poor and are having a loft conversion done!

"Having a loft conversion done" Yes, it sounds like I have money to burn, doesn't it - well, that isn't exactly what I said.

I'm converting the loft MYSELF (apart from the structural bits that I can't do and have to pay someone for) to keep costs to a minimum with second hand materials purchased on ebay, just like the kitchen floor I laid myself last weekend for the princely sum of £22 including tiles and glue because I'm a single mum who works full time and doesn't receive even a penny from anyone towards the upkeep of my two children (who incidentally are different sexes are clearly can't share the same bedroom forever - hence the need to convert the loft).

Kindly keep your comments to yourself in future please Chris, you've made me feel first angry then tearful.

Agile, where does it say I have a one bedroom flat?

Anyone else who thinks I have it made is most welcome to pop round and help me next weekend when I've collected my bargain secondhand loftboards.

Redhot

I'm not a plumber, but a competant DIYer and have recently finished putting in a new CH system. I did all the pipe work and a Corgi fella fitted the boiler. I did lots of research and ended up buying a Worcester 28KW boiler to power 9 Rads and supply one bathroom with bath - no shower. The boiler cost me about £900. It's be running for a couple of months now and is first class so far.

I had the boiler fitted in the loft on the same gable end as the kitchen which simplified the gas supply pipe to the boiler, and the condensate pipe which was required, this drains down to the kitchen waste drain outside. As it was on a gable end the flue was a simple matter.

The changes to your pipework will bump your quote up and depends on how easy the runs from the boiler to the Rads are.

I would go for at least a 30KW or 35KW if you can afford it. I wouldn't be surprised for a quote between 3 and 4 grand. You could always source the boiler yourself and get a local Corgi guy to fit it.

Oh and one last thing. You need to be thick skinned to enter into discussion/ask questions in this section of the forum - there are some prima donna's out there BUT there is also some pretty excellent advice too!

All very well Toptec, you are from Zummerset after all, but what about the warrantee if it goes wrong.

Normally if you supply it, you fix it rule apply.

Hey Bath Guy.

Warranty all in order, full Worcester Bosch just like everyone else will have.

I didn't supply it, I bought it from a Plumbing Supplier in Swindon.

I dunnow - you Bath folks...................... ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back