Fuel poverty

Sponsored Links
The rules and assessments need to be addressed properly rather than throwing money at any case. It may cost a little more in the long run but individuals need to be assessed on a case by case basis rather than a sweeping generalisation.

Example: My partner and myself have a mortgage free £137k house, we have two children (hers) both teenagers, eldest one has a serious disability. We have an income of circa £50k pa before additional stuff for the eldest.

We are supposedly entitled to a free boiler as we are technically in fuel poverty due to the certain criteria that they have set out! How can that be? We are by no means rich but we aren't struggling but why do we fall into this category? I, as a heating engineer, refuse to even consider this but how many in our situation or better off take advantage of this and cost us thousands a year?

Where does this mad Carbon reduction legislation come from?
I'll give you one guess! :rolleyes:
Warning Warning
Disinformation Alert

PBC is about to hoodwink you into believing the EU started the Carbon Tax
In reality it was started by Finland, Sweden, Norway and Denmark
Then Netherlands and Slovenia folowed. Then UK and Germany introduced the carbon energy taxation:
Finland (1990), Sweden (1990), Norway (1991) and Denmark (1992) have been frontrunners in launching specific CO2-taxes to curb CO2 emissions (Andersen, 2004). Concerns over climate change coincided with policies in these countries aiming at reducing income taxes—and by addressing these two issues in combination a series of tax shifting packages were created, which have been in the main revenue-neutral. Netherlands (1996) and Slovenia (1997) followed the policy trend a few years later, and towards the close of the 1990s two of the largest EU economies, Germany (1998) and UK (2000) introduced carbon-energy taxation policies too, adding more weight and significance to the approach. While UK introduced a specific climate change levy on fossil fuels, Germany increased more broadly its energy taxes as part of a so-called ‘ecological tax reform’.
https://sapiens.revues.org/1072
During the 1990s, a carbon/energy tax was proposed at the EU level but failed due to industrial lobbying
In addition, the UK's Climate Change Levy was introduced in 2001.
It wasn't until 2010 that EU considered a pan-Europe iniative:
In 2010, the European Commission considered implementing a pan-European minimum tax on pollution
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_tax

Now there's more:
Warning Warning
Disinformation Alert

PBC is about to try and convince you that Climate Change Levy (CCL) causes fuel poverty, but CCL does not apply to domestic use.
You don’t pay the main rate of CCL on certain supplies, eg if you’re a:

business that uses small amounts of energy
domestic energy user
charity engaged in non-commercial activities
Fuels that are exempt
Electricity, gas and solid fuel are normally exempt from the main rates of CCL if any of the following apply:
they won’t be used in the UK
https://www.gov.uk/green-taxes-and-reliefs/climate-change-levy

Watch out for the next disinformation alert!

I guess the self-proclaimed professor of VAT, professes disinformation.

Last edited:
The rules and assessments need to be addressed properly rather than throwing money at any case.
Theoretically, Aquaheat, that's the logical way to approach the problem.
We know that the government gives fuel supplements in the way of Winter Fuel Allowance to low income groups.
The argument, so far, against means testing has been resistance from representative groups, AND, government's assertion that the means testing process would be more expensive than the simple one-rule-for-all approach.

Sponsored Links
Well I didn't want to turn this thread into that kind of discussion.
Neither did I as there are already quite enough on the subject, however.....

It wasn't until 2010 that EU considered a pan-Europe iniative:
In 2010, the European Commission considered implementing a pan-European minimum tax on pollution
You're employing tricky tactics there to try and suggest that the quote says something it does not: The fact that the EU might not have considered a pan-EU minimum tax until 2010 doesn't mean that it wasn't passing directives requiring members to do things before then.

PBC is about to try and convince you that Climate Change Levy (CCL) causes fuel poverty, but CCL does not apply to domestic use.
But it applies to companies which are involved in getting that fuel to domestic users. Do you think they don't pass on the costs of compliance in the rates charged?

I guess the self-proclaimed professor of VAT, professes disinformation.
I never proclaimed any such thing, but at least I used to be VAT-registered and understand the principle of input and output tax and how VAT is paid and reclaimed along the chain, which you didn't seem to know.

But I will not be drawn into further arguments about the EU or VAT in this thread as there is enough of that elsewhere.

The point is, whatever the source of these taxes (and yes, of course some are of purely U.K. origin) they contribute toward making fuel more expensive. The feed-in tariff scheme was a crazy idea from the start, offering over 40p per unit for PV-generated power.

I really don't know why I should bother replying to somebody who cannot formulate a reply without resorting to obscenities (which have been repoted, by the way), but one of the big reasons that fuel has become so expensive is precisely because of the EU and its interference in everything. Whether you like it or not, theissue of the EU is relevant to so many issues in the U.K. today simply because the EU has a finger in just about everything.

WHY THE VERY FU CK does every thread have to dissolve into the same debate about Europe over and over again. Leave it out you pair of raging fu cktards.

Nozzle
To be precise, it was EFLImpudence who introduced the EU argument into this thread.
In deference to your request, I'll transfer PBC comments into another thread.

But do please bear in mind that the OP does not necessarily have control over how the thread develops.

I don't care who started it, with any amount of precision whatsoever. I'm not your Mum or your teacher.

I didn't introduce the EU as such; I pointed out why British Government cannot remove the VAT on fuel in response to the suggestion that they should.

Please make a list of what we are allowed to say.

These houses are no longer fit for purpose and should be demolished, or seriously upgraded.

A bit of insulation and blocking the gaps around windows is a recipe for mould (you don't need to dry clothes to produce enough moisture for condensation to occur with poor insulation). Proper wall insulation upgrade (not a pathetic bit of blown insulation into a 50mm cavity ), lots of loft insulation, and floor insulation where needed, then people in fuel poverty can afford to heat their homes.

The problem with this country is that we have so much crappy old housing stock that it is a monumental task to upgrade it, we either let people live in the cold, give them fuel money or encourage/fund house upgrades.

of course, where the money for this will come from.........

there are a few things that a person can do to make their home worse. One of them is draping wet washing in an unventilated room to cause damp, condensation and mould.

In many cases loft insulation can be had free.

Sadly some of the worst housing is by modern slum landlords. We've spent 40 years doing away with social housing to put it into the hands of BTL owners. There's no point in the taxpayer building good homes for rent, and then finding the government forces their sale below cost price. That doesn't keep rents down, it just enriches the lucky owner.

The tenant of a bad landlord may be unable to get leaking gutters, pointing and windows replaced. When I looked at the BBC site I was sad to see that some of the people don't know you can sleep warm, and avoid a damp bed, by using an electric blanket far cheaper than running a room heater, or that you can reduce damp in a room by opening the windows.

I have no sympathy with the tiny minority of people who cause deliberate damage.

John, not all private landlords are bad. I am a private landlord and I took two weeks to insulate my floors, roof and walls purely for the benefit of my future tenants. They reap the benefit of all that effort, pretty much as soon as they turn on the combi the house is a furnace, it's that well insulated. You should be more mindful about generalising, as most intelligent and conscientious people will go out of their way to make sure their tenants are happy, and I can tell you I took a damm sight more care and attention than someone on a maintenance contract working for the fuking council would have. Your rhetoric will see the government going after private landlords more and more and more, and in the worst possible way, which will only cause them to pass on all those extra fees and fines to their tenants, and cause good ones like me to pay out more than is reasonable.

On the subject of fuel poverty, people that can't afford to pay are the most ripped off. There are countless videos on youtube of gas engineers turning up at a ''debtors'' property attempting to force entry with often phoney/fake warrants trying force on them a prepay meter with the worst possible rates you can find... these companies are seeing billions in profit every year. There is nothing to stop the government building new renewable energy plants themselves instead of relying on these scumbag privately owned multinational companies than have us all over a barrel in terms of what they can get away in charging.

looks like pl's in fenland are going to need a license for each property let out now. That won't stop the subletting but will get the council a few quid.

Sponsored Links
Back