fuel prices to soar

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Pump Prices About To Hit New High Warns AA
The political uncertainty gripping many of the world's top oil producing nations is set to deliver a shock to UK drivers "within days".
That is according to the AA, which believes increases in the cost of oil as a result of the unrest in Libya will shortly be passed on by retailers at the petrol pump.
It has traditionally taken weeks for such oil price increases to reach petrol stations.
As it stands, the average price for a litre of unleaded is 128.9 pence, with diesel 134.3 pence.
But on the international markets, the price of Brent Crude oil is hovering at highs not seen for well over two years at almost $110 a barrel.
The oil price has risen steadily over the past two months as a result of the political turmoil in Tunisia, Yemen, then Egypt and now in Libya.
Should it reach a record $150 a barrel, as some experts claim could happen if the unrest spreads, a litre of unleaded would likely rise above 140p.
It is estimated that Libya's daily output of 1.6 million barrels has already been reduced at least by 20% because of the uncertainty there.
Two major foreign producers, Eni (E1NT.EX - news) and BASF (323600.TI - news) , have turned off the taps. Together they produce 350,000 barrels a day.
One of the largest tribes in Eastern Libya has threatened to cut off exports from the port of Banghazi unless the violence against pro-democracy protesters stops.
Another tribe, based south of the capital Tripoli, has also turned against Colonel Gadaffi's regime.
Saudi Arabia has said that it could produce an extra 4 million barrels a day to make up any lost capacity and help keep prices stable.
But the biggest fear is that the turmoil could spread across the Middle East and North Africa, which together produce a third of the world's oil.
RMI Petrol, which represents retailers, has yet to respond to the AA's price rise claims.
The two organisations clashed over petrol prices earlier this month after the AA accused fuel providers of failing to pass on falling wholesale petrol costs to motorists.
However, both have agreed that freezing April's planned fuel duty increase will serve the best interests of the UK economy.

Sponsored Links
I have made my mind up if it gets any were near £1.75 litre petrol I will get rid of my car because I am already struggling, and the engine manufacturers have not really got series of how to reduce the fuel consumption or make another cheap fuel since the revolution of the motor cars.

Stick it on eBay - I`ll have a punt ;) AA..... Centrica ..... profits .... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: They look after your world and your car. Never mind nuking `em - lets get building nuke power stations :idea:

Sponsored Links
My car is an automatic so it uses more fuel, plus its a 7 seater so its geared lower to allow for its extra weight, so as a result I only get 25-30 MPG

also...being a single earner for family of 5 means fuel prices have a huge impact on our finances, often thought about converting to LPG but having the £1000 to have it done is really hard

Has anyone got/thought about converting to LPG and what are the pros and cons of it

My son commutes 140 miles a day...had his last car converted to LPG.He's just bought a new car and reckons the increases in LPG have made it not worthwhile to convert....Saving companies money is his business...

Just heard 9 oclock news...5p litre increase expected in the next couple of days.

Now I am presuming here that the Oil that has been exported to the UK, shipped some thousands of miles, refined and transported to the filling stations has been paid for by the SHells/Essos/texaco's of this world. It is not on 'sale or return'.

So, if the above process takes weeks to occur, why should the pump price rise so suddenly?

Conversely. should the price per barrel drop as things even out, will the pump price drop back just as rapidly? well, will it?

DH

Now I am presuming here that the Oil that has been exported to the UK, shipped some thousands of miles, refined and transported to the filling stations has been paid for by the SHells/Essos/texaco's of this world. It is not on 'sale or return'.

So, if the above process takes weeks to occur, why should the pump price rise so suddenly?

Conversely. should the price per barrel drop as things even out, will the pump price drop back just as rapidly? well, will it?

DH

Don't be daft this is Rip off Britain. They'll stick it up if an Arab gets a cold.

Theres 3 billion new oil consumers to be catered for who were not here about 5 years ago.
The Indians and the Chinese. Thats the real reason oil prices are going up.

should be a good time to buy a luxury motor with a big engine. :D

I was watching the Sky news channel, intermittantly, and the oil price ranged from high to 0.010%, which means no increase. But an excuse for the oil companies to use a situation, and the Governments, to rake in the cash over media led trivia.

These dictator countries kick off, for no reason, then blame Bin laden, Egypt gets taken to a no control state, Lisbon follows suit, then Libya. WE in the UK have NO current leader. Cameron is out of the country, selling weapons to these people, and Clegg, the person in charge, in his absence, says, "Am I running the country?" Durr!

What the hell?

I suggest an uprising in England, about all the cuts that are being made, and the rising fuel prices. Refineries were blockaded a few years ago for lesser prices at the pumps. LET US FORCE OUT UNELECTED PEOPLE OUT OF GOVERNMENT AND RISE ABOVE THE TAXES THAT THE BANKERS PUT UPON US. LET THE BANKERS PAY, WHEN THEY AWARD THEMSELVES MILLIONS IN BONUSES, AND PAY 1% TAX, WHEN WE ARE TOLD 'TIGHTEN YOUR BELTS, CHOOSE CHARITY, REIGN IT IN'

Nah that won`t work - Bring back Thatcher - she`ll sort out the country :mrgreen:

Sponsored Links
Back