Full brake clean and tyre alignment

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I had a small service on my car recently and I have been 'advised' to have a full brake clean at £78 and tyre alignment at £78. I have no idea if this is reasonable and wonder if anyone can advise me please. Many thanks.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I guess for £78, the brake clean would just involve either a blast of compressed air or a good drench in brake cleaner aerosol........whereas in reality the pads should be stripped out, then wire brushed and the caliper lands cleaned likewise before reassembly.
We need to see pictures of the tyre wear to comment on the rest!
John :)

What was done in the small service?
Who did the small service?
What car is it, how old and how many miles?

Thank you so much for your replies and will try to answer everything. I have a Honda Jazz, my last throw of the dice, a present to me from me so probably my last car which I want to look after, which has done 21,740 miles, The agents did the '12' service, not sure what that means. I did ask what had been done but they rushed through it so quickly probably relying on me not understanding, correct. I was told there is a high build up of dust re the brakes, all 50% worn, the invoice mentions cartridge, oil filter, oil change, screen wash, washer, drain plug. Also included was a wash and vac FOC which I can tell 100% was not carried out. I don't understand the suggested tyre alignment, on the 'Visual Health Check', all four tyres are shown as having even tread outer, middle and inner, NSF 4mm, OSF 5mm, OSR 6mm, NSR 5mm. I think he said the OSF and NSF tyres showed scuffing - not sure of the wording - on the inside edges which is why they suggested the alignment. Thank you for any help you may be able to give.

All cars have 'dust' on the brakes and I’ve never cleaned that dust apart from when I’m replacing the brakes so I wouldn’t worry about that. If you've done 21,000 miles and they are 50% worn, then I’d estimate that you have another 15,000 miles before replacement is due. If the tyres are wearing evenly all over the tread area, I wouldn’t bother with wheel alignment either. Scuffing on the inside of the front tyres could just be due to parking/manoevering on full lock. It’s just a money spinner. Save your money.

If its done 21k mikes the brakes probably do need a cleam but its nothing too complicated. On a Honda jazz they are disc brakes so its not really necessary just a check that the pads are ok and not sticking and clean the dust as Burnerman said in post #5.

Any local garage or a good diyer could do the job. Talk to neighbours and friends and see if they can recommend anybody.

As regards the tyres they all appear to be okay if the readings are correct. I wouldnt worry as it sounds as if they are trying to drum up business. Any reputable tyre shop would give you a free check and wheel alignment for a few quid. Kwik fit will do it free although they will charge if adjustments are required and they will use it to generate income.

It's never a bad idea to get the wheel alignment checked really but in reality most won't bother.
Maybe consider it when you go for new tyres.

The Jazz is a seriously brilliant vehicle - so easy to service and very forgiving.
Unfortunately, Honda servicing prices will make your eyes water so any good independent garage could take it on.
If yours is an automatic or hybrid, have the transmission oil changed with the proper Honda lube at half the recommended change intervals.
John :)

Many thanks for all your replies. My Honda is manual, but I will not have anything done just yet, plenty of food for thought. It has passed its MOT without any problems and the issues raised don't seem as bad as I thought. Thank you so much for all the contributions, they are so much help and give me reassurance. Kind regards Dibs

Just for info, the Honda 12 service is what is required every 12 months. A 13 service is more involved, naturally enough.
12 includes an oil and filter change (vital), and other than that a visual inspection is all that is done.
You will be contacted if the brakes are more than 50% worn and replacements offered.
You’ll probably be sent a video of the vehicle underside which is worthless, but people think it’s important.
Your car has 8 spark plugs rather than the usual 4, so replacement is more expensive.
Honda are charging £110 per hour + vat up here in Geordieland!
Listen out for rattles at the driver side midships as the exhaust shields come loose, but that’s easily cured.
Enjoy one of the best cars around ! With care it will last many years.
John

We have 3 in the family and they are great cars.
Id probably own one myself but i feel they lack a bit of go, even my stepfathers 1.4 Si is gutless.
Not had the pleasure of doing the spark plugs yet but they are due soon.

Burnerman, thanks for all the information. I did get the video, perhaps that's why they charge so much. I did mention before the car went in that there was a knocking sound coming from the passenger rear side when I turned a sharp right hand, but after chasing them up on this no inspection of this seems to have been done. They remarked on the original paper work that the sound 'worsened' when turning right which is not what I said, I said it became apparent when turning right. Just hope one of the wheels doesn't fall off! Thanks everyone again, have a good weekend, Dibs

Sponsored Links
Back