Full house renovation # 1: Set out concrete floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, im from the roofing side of the forum :eek:
Im doing up a house for myself and first thing is sorting out the floor. I am doing all the work myself :eek: :eek: I dont know everything but im pretty handy, being a roofer :?: Not too proud to ask & learn so i can do things for myself, thats the way i like it . Thanks in advance.

So far: Dug out about 12'' down into existing flagstone/tile and earth floor,the earth floor remaining was very solid so i laid 2 inches of duff on top and plan to whack it. Planning on laying 4-5'' of kingspan, dpm and finish off with readymix concrete. Is that bit ok?

Whats the best way of laying the dpm? Under or on top of kingspan? Also when ive done this before i had a crumbly gap at the edges of the dpm where the skirtings go, not ideal.

Also, i need to build a block pillar to support a main timber beam that spans the 'living room' - Presently supported by a 5'' diameter pole that would only look good if a young lady was swinging from it. :mrgreen:
Whats the best way to start the pillar? Foundations or lay on top of the new concrete? with the dpm under it and fold it up around the blocks or what?

Sponsored Links
So far: Dug out about 12'' down into existing flagstone/tile and earth floor,the earth floor remaining was very solid so i laid 2 inches of duff on top and plan to whack it. Planning on laying 4-5'' of kingspan, dpm and finish off with readymix concrete. Is that bit ok?
Lay 100mm minimum hard core layer, compact, then cover with 50mm sand blinding layer.
Fit the polythene under the insulation and possibly a layer over the insulation depending upon manufacturer.

You are better off allowing for a floor screed as this is easir to work than trowelling a concrete slab

The pillar will require a foundation and a squint from b'regs, as will the floor.

**** all that paper work crap iv layed100's of floors never once hade regs on it

Sponsored Links
I agree to a certain extent that B.C. do stick their noses in a little too often nowadays, but.....if you decide to sell and alterations are picked out by a diligent eager surveyor then it may cause problems or unnecessary delays when you want to sell.

The fact that it is illegal is another matter. Just hope the neighbours don't drop you in it. ;)

I do agree with you Noseall re BC.
What about the dpm regards the pillar. Under the foundation and fold up? What about this pillar dpm and the fact the rest of the room dpm will be laid under the insulation. What should be done where these two dpm's 'cross' at different heights?

You would dig out the floor, dig out the found's for the pillar, lay the concrete for the pillar, build the pilar up to dpc (floor level), lay the floor dpm lapping it onto the pillar, lay the floor concrete then build the rest of the pillar.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back