Full lighting rewire -very old house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Well Edwardian- all g/f is solid walls, upstairs part solid part plaster / lath stud.

So on to design of lighting.

I have got in to the practice of bringing the lives down to the switch boxes with the lamp feed. Due to fabric issues this isn't (easily) viable.

The old method of ceiling roses can't be used due to customers variation of existing light fittings- It's a Christopher Wray lighting paradise based on 4-5-6 arm chanderliers.

So how do I do the rewire without jb's in ceiling and roof voids? Am I right in thinking that jb's cannot be used due to servicing issues.

Or can I use Jb's and simply mark up a schedule / plan of location and ease access issues by fabricating trap doors to access.

If loft is full accessable (which it is) is it wrong to resort to lighting jb's? Because at the loft area these would be easily accessed.
Reason for not wanting to take lives to the switch is simple economics regarding the volume of chasing, drilling and fabrication required to bring 3 x cables down to each switch.

Ta for suggestions

Sponsored Links
Chri5.

Reg 526-04 requires access for inspection, testing and maintenance.

The loft is fine for JBs - even better if you can mount your JBs on the purlins, nicely labelled up.

The void between storeys is, sadly, not so accessible and future changes may make access impossible (think laminate flooring). It's about time somebody made a compound filled version of a JB for just this purpose... hang on (light bulb moment)... what's the number for the Patent Office?

You could always try soldering.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back