Full size bath tub in loft

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

We would like to do a loft conversion that is ensuite with a full size bath tub. The conversion will be a hip to gable with a dormer on the the rear of the loft. Stairs coming up on the new gable wall.

The dimensions of the floor space are 7.2metres (front to back of house) by 5.2 metres width.

So the issue is will there be enough space for a full size bath tub, toilet and basin?

The toilet on the first floor is at the front of the house and so is the soil pipe so the bathroom would ideally go in front half of the loft where the roof slopes.

I will get an architect in and building regs etc but I just wanted some advice on whether this would be possible and if anyone has any experience of this.

The house is a 1930's 3 bed semi

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Probably but that's why you employ someone to draw up the plans.

What's the existing clear headroom from ceiling joist to underside of ridge? You'll probably lose 200 odd at floor level and 100 odd at roof level for additional structure/insulation etc.

Use an architectural technician instead BTW, an architect is overkill for a lofty.

Thanks for the reply, do you mean from the centre of the roof to the loft floor? At a guess I would say about 2.7m to the top of one of the floor joists

Yes, if 2.7 to start with then you will probably be able to get something, I just re-read and as you are looking at a dormer you may lose considerably more space than I mentioned as you'll probably need a steel ridge beam too but as mentioned it needs drawing up and you may well have to compromise on bedroom space and head height..

Sponsored Links
Thanks I will get it drawn up like you said to get a clearer idea. Do you what the cost of getting drawings done is?

I would be charging around £800 for everything including some feasibility to come up with the best layout assuming it was Permitted development and no planning application being required, Structural Engineers fees on top say £300-500. Building Regs local authority fees around £700. Cost of the conversion say £30-40K.

Others would charge less, others would charge more.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back