Fully insulated attic and aquarium heater for the tank...?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Anybody tried this?

The coldest room in our house is the bathroom because there's no flippin' insulation above the ceiling, in accordance with convention because the HW header tank is above it.

This morning I got thinking about this (dangerous, I know!) and it struck me that the room would be warmer and the heating bills probably lower if you had the full thickness of insulation throughout the entire attic including under the tank and dropped an aquarium heater into the tank running off a mains tranny and set to something like 5 degrees, or whatever is the normal winter incoming water temp. Of course the pipework has to be properly lagged etc etc. as well as the tank itself. This would protect the tank from freezing in very cold weather.

Stoopid idea or worth considering?

Moving on, I can't help thinking that this idea of leaving no insulation under then tank belongs to an era when few houses had central heating and tanks were metal not plastic. In those conditions I could see the water in the tank and surrounding pipework freezing but nowadays, even with a very high standard of insulation in the attic I reckon a fair amount of heat must get through and you would only risk freezing if you went away for a couple of weeks deep in winter. In those circumstances I always turn off the mains.

The only time I've ever had a freeze was this winter when it hit minus 12 and an unprotected pipe froze in the garage attic. I'd been meaning to lag it for years so I knew straight away what had happened. Five minutes with the blowtorch sorted it and I lagged it there and then.

Sponsored Links
i've never known a tank to freeze so its pointless. Additionally I'm not aware of a small aquarium heater that you can set at 5c seeing as its very unlikely you'll ever have an aquarium in a room less than 5c. Depending on where you live, incoming mains can still be as much as 10C in the depths of winter. Insulate the loft and insulate the tank and pipework, job done.

Thanks. I know zilch about aquariums!

So what's the convention now with new-build houses? Do they generally have everything fully insulated, as you suggest?

I can't help thinking that this idea of leaving no insulation under then tank belongs to an era when few houses had central heating and tanks were metal not plastic.
I think you are right; it kept the water in the metal tank warm (at 20C!). The current thinking is to insulate the tank itself, including the top, which requires a lid. If you put loft insulation under the tank, then all six sides are insulated.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back