Fully Intergrated Dishwasher Or Slot In?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am getting a new kitchen fitted soon and up to press I am buying a fully intergrated Diplomat dishwasher off the kitchen supplier. I have close family who have both had severe grief with dishwashers failing prematurely, both of these were slot in Zanussi machines for around £250-£300. Anyway both needed replaced as it was uneconomical to repair them, and both were under 2 years old and had not particularly had lots of use. One of the plumbers told my brother that dishwashers should be avoided with electronic timers/displays etc, he also said that fully intergrated dishwashers are a pain to work on?

I personally do not care if it is intergrated or slot-in, although the girlfriend would prefer fully intergrated but is not really bothered too. The thing is the Diplomat is around £300 and the kitchen door for it is around £100. So I am thinking of maybe just getting a slot-in machine for £400-£500 made by a decent brand. My brother bought a Bosch replacement dishwasher and it has already failed after only 2 weeks :eek: It was cheap (around £220), but he reckoned in the short time that he had it working it was rubbish and never got things clean like the Zanussi did.

So basically I was just wondering are fully intergrated dishwashers a real pain? Or was the plumber maybe over-exaggerating? And if I go down the slightly more expensive slot-in machine type, do any plumbers or owners have any ideas of a decent brand? I would of thought AEG or Miele or something, but I am no expert :rolleyes: I know I should go to the libary and look at the Which report too, as I do not want a trial from their website :confused:

Sponsored Links
Ive been repairing appliances for 23 years and avoid built in if possible.For a basic dishwasher not too expensive go for whirlpool with electro mechanical controls-hope this helps.

I agree about avoiding the electronic display. I've had 2 replaced under my extended warranty.

We have a SMEG slimline stainless steel one and it is the best thing we have bought for the house so far :)

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies will go for a slot-in one I think. Not sure whether to go for a silver one or pay more for stainless. Only problem with the stainless ones is that all the ones that I have looked at so far have electronic timers which I want to avoid :confused:

The AEG is a Zanussi in disguise. Built in is only a pain to work on if its raised on pieces of wood and ciggie packets and then the floor tiler comes afterwards . As bulit in is dearer to buy when i done my kitchen i made the depth of the worktops longer and have hidden a freestanding dishwasher behind two cupboard doors and it just slides out to clean etc.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back