Funny names topic - moderator rebuke.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Incredible.

You allow people to come on here and spout all manner of poisonous racist and religiously intolerant views, including advocating murdering people because of their religion.

Yet get a few risque posts with funny names and you delete the whole thread.

Your sense of social responsiblity is seriously flawed.

I'll write two four-letter words here:

"****" "kill"

Which describes the most damaging and least acceptable act?

I have deleted the swear word and please keep it clean.

Sponsored Links
Interesting post, the moderator obviously considered your points carefully before making a reasonable and well-judged response.

Moderator - please explain why you find a word describing the act of taking a life more acceptable than a word describing a sex act?

Please explain why you consider sex dirty, but killing clean.

Are you sick, or something?

I quite agree. I was most upset when my original one was blocked. :(

Sponsored Links
notb665 said:
I quite agree. I was most upset when my original one was blocked. :(

So was I. I thought it was hilarious. The double meaning and suggestive name is a great british humorous tradition, watch any carry on film. I have never seen anything in here worse than the average nights pre watershed TV and I doubt many kids find theer way in here by accident. If there anything like mine I can't get them of the sofa never mind researching the finer points of DIY

I know the Mods have taken a bit of a bashing today, and have thrown his/ her toys out of pram as a result. It must be a fairly tedious job, so a vote of thanks from me on that score however I think perhaps a warning in future before a thread gets locked might not cause quite so much aggro all round

I am new on this site. I believe that it is quite refreshing to find such a site where any sort of offensive words are deleted or edited for a better definition.
In one of my posts I put in as I was discribing an object as 'Cr*p'. It was changed to 'rubbish'. Same meaning but less offensive to some.

That's an example which illustrates the braindead folly of automatic censorship.

How, for example, could you write about that well known game of chance that involves throwing a pair of dice?

Not as bad as AOL though - when they started up over here nobody from Scunthorpe could register....

It's the overly PC world we live in unfortunately...

Regarding the word C r a p, if anyone os offended by this, then they best p * * * off to another planet as they are sick and twisted puppies who need to get a blo ody life...

This world is faster going down Mr Crappers invention

Best his name gets autoedited..

It's an odd word to choose to autocensor.

F*** I can understand (even though I disagree, and think that censoring it displays the most incredible cowardice), but crap does have more than one use and meaning.

As do Dick, cock, tit, bloody, bleeding, sod, jerk, bum, screw, homo, balls.... and probably others.

Now this is interesting. I've just done a preview, and lo - some of the words above are autocensored, and some are not.

It seems that the people running this site think that I should not be allowed to say "my son got into a fight and came home with a bloody nose", but I can say "if I find the guy who did it I'll punch his bleeding lights out".

Moderator - can you explain the logic behind this, or comment on how much sense you think your position makes?

The second one to get bleeped was s.o.d.

Now my dictionary lists the first meaning of that as "turf". It also has examples of colloquial usage of the word with that meaning; "the old s o d" - one's native country, and "under the s o d" - in the grave.

It's also a verb - to s o d means to cover the ground with s o ds, i.e. to turf it.

The second entry shows that it is also the past tense of the verb "seethe".

Only by the time we get to the third entry do we find its derogatory use.

Moderator - given that there are far more non-derogatory uses of the word than derogatory ones, can you explain why you censor it? Can you explain to the users of the Gardening forum in particular why they may not use the word?

Can you also please explain this: the word you've banned is an abbreviation of "sodomite", and yet you allow me to call someone a silly sodomite but not a silly s o d.

Anagram fun.

My first attempt at writing "f***" above was to use the word popularised by a well known High St clothing retailer. But f c uk got rendered as ****.

Moderator - f c uk is the registered trademark of a legitimate UK company. Do you think it is right to say to a legitimate UK company that their trademark cannot be used here?

Finally, alternative fun

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and defecated"

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and had a ****"

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and had a crap"

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and did a poo"

Moderator - can you explain how you choose which words to censor?

notb665 said:
Big_Spark said:
This world is faster going down Mr Crappers invention

And what would that be? For it certainly wasn't the flushing toilet.

http://www.plumbingworld.com/historythomas.html

That was my reference..I have read the link..thanks, but I am not convinced of it's accuracy. I accept that Thomas Crapper perhaps did not invent the Flushing loo we know today, and this maywell be an urban myth, however some of the theory as to how he became associated with it are seriously flawed..a net search showed that the Guy they claim had a petent issued to him in 1819 died in 1839, consequently the two could never have met..

I suppose it's not important...I was also wrong, crapper was not auto edited anyway so my comment was superfulous.. :LOL:

ban-all-sheds said:
Finally, alternative fun

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and defecated"

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and had a s**t"

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and had a rubbish"

"After I got up, I went to the toilet and did a poo"

:LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

It's all excrement BAS... :LOL:

for anyone interested, cr[ b][ /b]a[ i][ /i]p = crap

ahhh, now i know how you did that ban :LOL: ;)

I once wrote Saturday, and it was edited. (turd.........)

As for Mrs Slocombe's feline friend, G*d only knows!

Pussy.

Another one for the list.

It actually does get autocensored - without special devices it appears as "pussy".

So come on, Mr/Ms Moderator - what about this one? Yes we all know the word has more than one meaning, but leaving aside your laughable premise that a child who only knows it as a cute word for a cat could somehow be corrupted by seeing it, don't you see that this is another example of how flawed an automatic censoring system is?

Just how braindead and ludicrous are you prepared to appear before you do something about this?

Shall we try the ever-popular alternatives game? I wonder how consistent you are...

Beaver, box, ****, fadge, vadge, fanny, front bottom, honey pot, love tunnel, minge, muff, pussy, quim, snatch, ****.

Those are almost all from a BBC website aimed at young teenagers, BTW. The only change I've made was to replace their "c**t" with the full word. God knows why they felt they had to do that, it's not as if anybody reading it isn't going to say the real word in their head.

But at least they don't go all twee like you do.

Where's the logic?

Why can I write "beaver" (an animal that until very recently didn't exist in this country outside of zoos) but not "pussy" - an animal which is all too commonplace?

Do you have a logical explanation for this, or are you happy to just appear stupid?

Leaving the double-entendre possibilities behind, what about some of the words that are only slang?

Why are you happy for me to write "minge" and "quim", but not "twat"?

Do you have a logical explanation for this, or are you happy to just appear stupid?

Sponsored Links
Back