Funny photos you took yourself

Better make sure they always buy the final round in the pub then .. The stuff I have seen .. supposedly flying.
Never mind, better not to know I suppose...

Anyway, in which sensible aircraft could one fly (descend) through one's own (down) backwash .... Too rapid, and ooooer.
On the other hand one could always lose the rear fan.... Mulberry bush time !
:D :D :D :D :D

Sponsored Links
Well, autogyros seem to work! :LOL:

IIRC the reason turbine helicopters are safer in autorotation was thus:

In a petrol-engined helicopter, if there is a problem with the engine then the blades will stop pretty much instantaneously unless you are a very experience pilot who knows it's about to happen. But, with a turbine-engined helicopter, you have much more momentum stored in the engine and gearbox, and the engine is unlikely to just jam stopped like a piston-engine does. And in the movies, pay attention to how long it takes a turbine-helicopter to spin down after landing. Bl**dy ages!

So, the blades will continue to spin, thus allowing improved autorotation characteristics.

AdamW said:
Well, autogyros seem to work! :LOL:

IIRC the reason turbine helicopters are safer in autorotation was thus:

In a petrol-engined helicopter, if there is a problem with the engine then the blades will stop pretty much instantaneously unless you are a very experience pilot who knows it's about to happen. But, with a turbine-engined helicopter, you have much more momentum stored in the engine and gearbox, and the engine is unlikely to just jam stopped like a piston-engine does. And in the movies, pay attention to how long it takes a turbine-helicopter to spin down after landing. Bl**dy ages!

So, the blades will continue to spin, thus allowing improved autorotation characteristics.

Ahar Jim lad ... My text asked :- '..in which sensible aircraft could one fly (descend) through one's own (down) backwash ? .... Too rapid, and ooooer.,' nothing about the rate of forward motion or autorotation.. the former taking you out of any downward disturbed air the latter barely causing any.... Read about 'Settling with Power' a known problem .. just one of many with helios :mad: :mad:

:D :D :D

Sponsored Links
ScreenHunter_033.jpg

Back