Foodbanks .... I got well and truly educated..... drop something in the supermarket contributions

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
A job at a large detached house, nice house and customer, new Rangerover in the drive .......talked about a variety if subjects whilst I was working. Including political propaganda, leave that for another time.......

The conversation turned to foodbanks ..............This lady used to be a volunteer but her husband advised her to stop as it was affecting her emotionally.

I assumed that food banks were for the homeless such as drug addicts and alcoholics .....wrong.

It seems that I had the completely wrong idea.

Where people are judged fit for work their benefits are immediately stopped and they get something like £26 a week to live on. It can take 18 months to appeal and ninety odd percent are successful.

But in the meantime they have virtually nothing to live on.
She told me shocking stories ........single mother with cancer and no hair deemed as fit to work, a professional person who had fits maybe a hundred or more times a day deemed fit to work.

She also told me of outstanding attitudes of people who used the foodbank, one chap after collecting some donations would then sit and wait for three hours or more till the centre was about to close and ask if he could collect the left over tomatoes ......... when asked why he didn't ask earlier he replied someone else might have needed them and he only took them when it was obvious they would be thrown away ...........where he lived they would bake a large spag bag for them at to share.

There was a mystery on school holidays they expected to be really busy but we're deserted ..........The reason they found out was that parents tried to protect their children ftom knowing they used food banks.

The shocking last thing she told me, a chap walked in who was obviously unwell when questioned they found out he hadn't eaten for three days.

I did not know people were suffering from starvation in this country.
I was honestly schocked to be told this.

So the next time you see one of those baskets at the supermarket collecting for foodbanks put something in it.

One day it might be you that needs it.

Sponsored Links
Gasbanni, many thanks for posting this.

Universal Credit and PIP assessments are cruel and making people suffer.

I have a app on my phone called nextdoor. It's all about the local community.
The day before Christmas Eve I see a post thanking those who gave donations to a girl whos fallen on hard times and living in a refuge with her two little girls.

The girl posting was a friend of this girl. I asked if she needed any food for Christmas Dinner.

"No she said all sorted"

OK I said let me know if she needed anything.

Then come back to me saying she could do with a Turkey and some chocolates.

With a load of fresh veg and children's DVDs I poped this round to this friend..

I could smell the pot as she opened her door. I think I may have been had. I got the feeling this was all for her and not her mate..

Its not easy asking for yourself, so if this was the case I hope she and her family have a good Christmas.

A job at a large detached house, nice house and customer, new Rangerover in the drive .......talked about a variety if subjects whilst I was working. Including political propaganda, leave that for another time.......

The conversation turned to foodbanks ..............This lady used to be a volunteer but her husband advised her to stop as it was affecting her emotionally.

I assumed that food banks were for the homeless such as drug addicts and alcoholics .....wrong.

It seems that I had the completely wrong idea.

Where people are judged fit for work their benefits are immediately stopped and they get something like £26 a week to live on. It can take 18 months to appeal and ninety odd percent are successful.

But in the meantime they have virtually nothing to live on.
She told me shocking stories ........single mother with cancer and no hair deemed as fit to work, a professional person who had fits maybe a hundred or more times a day deemed fit to work.

She also told me of outstanding attitudes of people who used the foodbank, one chap after collecting some donations would then sit and wait for three hours or more till the centre was about to close and ask if he could collect the left over tomatoes ......... when asked why he didn't ask earlier he replied someone else might have needed them and he only took them when it was obvious they would be thrown away ...........where he lived they would bake a large spag bag for them at to share.

There was a mystery on school holidays they expected to be really busy but we're deserted ..........The reason they found out was that parents tried to protect their children ftom knowing they used food banks.

The shocking last thing she told me, a chap walked in who was obviously unwell when questioned they found out he hadn't eaten for three days.

I did not know people were suffering from starvation in this country.
I was honestly schocked to be told this.

So the next time you see one of those baskets at the supermarket collecting for foodbanks put something in it.

One day it might be you that needs it.

I. Do

Sponsored Links
Glad you now understand - many on here have tried to explain why they are so important many times, but I guess until you hear stories face to face it is hard to believe how bad things are for some people.

I have used a food bank before, when I was unemployed once.
It was a belittling experience but a necessary one.

Whilst some of the local supermarkets do support them, others do not and still waste food.
Your right GB, Ill pop some food in next time Im at the supermarket.

Nice that she's changed your perspective but can't fathom out why you didn't know all this already? :confused:

Don't expect anything to change anytime soon, the Architect of this disaster called UC has just been awarded with a knighthood.
It has been pointed out before that the WCA model used by the Government to assess disabled claiments is basically fraudulent.
Using for profit private contractors to carry out assessments was never going to be fair.
https://www.centreforwelfarereform.org/library/from-the-british-welfare-state.html

How long will it be before Andy11 comes along with another one of his stories about disabled scroungers living the life of Reilly.

hatejob is filled with sympathy and compassion. Just like Iain Duncan Smith.

SEC_63685036.jpg

Steve Smith, died after being declared fit for work. He was denied benefits.

"DWP probe into tragic six-stone Stephen Smith insists department 'followed policy' when repeatedly denying him vital benefits"
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dwp-probe-tragic-six-stone-16453633

DWP followed policy in denying dying man benefits, review finds

1024.jpg

Stephen Smith, 64, from Liverpool, weighed 38kg and was gravely ill at time of death

https://www.theguardian.com/society...dying-man-stephen-smith-benefits-finds-review

"Smith, 64, from Liverpool, had a range of debilitating illnesses including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, osteoarthritis and an enlarged prostate, and used a colostomy bag.

His death was reported in April, months after he was forced to get a pass to leave hospital to fight a decision by the department to deny him of crucial benefits.

Smith, who could barely walk, was deemed fit for work after a work capability assessment in 2017, which meant his employment support allowance (ESA) payments were stopped."

The benefits systems is at the root of all this evil.

My wife can just about walk 20 yards without assistance. Great! She can go 20 yards to get to somewhere/something without leaning on me, or a shopping trolley or using some other aid. How the f**k is she supposed to get back to her starting point, assuming she didn't need to go more than 20 yards?
Under the old DWP rules it was 50 yards and because she cannot do that distance she was entitled to benefits, one of which was a disability vehicle. Getting a disability vehicle means you surrender a certain amount of your benefit to pay for the car, it is not an additional benefit. Under the new rules, (which have been shown to be totally unfair and illegal!), she does not qualify for a car so has had to buy a second hand vehicle to help maintain her independence. She could have fought her PIP case and would almost certainly have won her appeal but they grind you down, they lie on their assessments, (she has proof of this), and they mentally exhaust you to the point you just think, "Sod it, I haven't got the energy to fight this anymore." It's so wrong to be pushed to these limits for them to meet their targets and make a profit. My wife holds down a very responsible job and is able to work from home purely because she has pride in her abilities and will not be beaten when someone suggests she is incapable of doing something. 30 years ago when she was told she would probably never walk again she proved the medical profession wrong. She continues to prove them wrong when she is told she shouldn't be doing some of the things she does. The only benefit she needed was the car benefit to keep her independence. Last week her car broke down and she was housebound because my shift rota meant I was working 4 days continuously and so she couldn't get out. If she had a disability car it would be one in good condition, (paid for out of her disability benefit), and she would be more self reliant. Thankfully we are not in the position of needing FB's but we have seen people who genuinely do need them and always put a few quids worth in each week. As Gasbanni says, you wouldn't believe the depths some people have sunk to before they admit they actually need a donation from a FB, because they put their pride before their health.
If you want to make a New Year resolution then make one that says you will put a few items in a basket each week. Not luxury biscuits or a packet of smoked salmon but everyday basic foodstuffs like beans, peas, washing powder etc. Anything non perishable. I think, 'There but for the grace of.....'

hatejob is filled with sympathy and compassion unlike Iain Duncan Smith.

SEC_63685036.jpg

Steve Smith, died after being declared fit for work. He was denied benefits.

"DWP probe into tragic six-stone Stephen Smith insists department 'followed policy' when repeatedly denying him vital benefits"
https://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/news/liverpool-news/dwp-probe-tragic-six-stone-16453633

DWP followed policy in denying dying man benefits, review finds

1024.jpg

Stephen Smith, 64, from Liverpool, weighed 38kg and was gravely ill at time of death

https://www.theguardian.com/society...dying-man-stephen-smith-benefits-finds-review

"Smith, 64, from Liverpool, had a range of debilitating illnesses including chronic obstructive pulmonary disease, osteoarthritis and an enlarged prostate, and used a colostomy bag.

His death was reported in April, months after he was forced to get a pass to leave hospital to fight a decision by the department to deny him of crucial benefits.

Smith, who could barely walk, was deemed fit for work after a work capability assessment in 2017, which meant his employment support allowance (ESA) payments were stopped."
Old news that you keep regurgitating, do you have anything constructive to offer this forum? But as you say, I do have sympathy for people in need.

None of this unfortunately is news to me. I will however put a couple of items in the collection box in future. As the saying goes,

"You Can Easily Judge the Character of a Man by How He Treats Those Who Can Do Nothing for Him"

Happy new year.

Sincerely hope you and your family don't fall on hard times, or suffer a sudden illness.

I think Andy is talking about freeloaders and not those who need help after putting into the system.

I hope that's what he is saying. As there are more than enough people out there who have hardly ever done a day's work yet live comfortably on hand outs.
This leaves less for those who have worked hard and now need a little help...

Sponsored Links
Back