17 year old employee my grandaughter advice req

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all i am placing this to see what others think about the way my granddaughter has been treated at he first job after leaving school,
She was taken on by a fitness center hairdressers inside the complex
at the interview she was told that they would have alter her hairstyle
cut and remove her extensions and have blonde highlights in so she fitted in with 2 other girls who worked there
She got on ok for a couple of days then they started to bully her to learn the ropes quicker and they expected he to get up to speed in a couple of months like the others that had been there 3 years it made her upset the way they were treating her she stayed the rest of the week but never turned up on sat for staff training
so they terminated her employment and gave her her p45 they also gave her a letter to that effect, and then deducted £86.50 for the hair cut and blow dry that they insisted she had to have done
they gave her a cheque for £8 for a weeks work.
At 17 years old and living at home with just her mum i think they are out of order deducting the cost of her hair do what do you think i should do about it for her ?? and do you think they were in there rights ??
In the letter it says its company policy but at no time was she given any letter or verbal indication of such policy what do you think folks

she is very upset over the whole thing and it has put her off working for a while

thanks Mick

Sponsored Links
Go to citizen's advice - there may be a call for bullying in the workplace, unfair dismissal etc, which the company may feel it worthwhile refunding her the cash rather than go through the palaver.

If you get no joy, then spend the residue of her wages printing off a load of flyers and stick them round the local area. Am sure they'd love the attention this would cause.

One week is not a very long time to evaluate a youngsters worth, unless she was rebellious and clearly had an attitude problem.
I would say there is a strong case to take them to tribunal for unfair dismissal.

Wotan

If the haircut was a condition of the job, they have no right in charging her for it.
I would definitely take that further.

Sponsored Links
Constructive dismissal without a doubt! That said, will put this to my friend who operates a salon and employs 17 hairdressers including trainees.

didnt think it law to be dictated too on how to wear your hair?as long as it is neat and tidy.
i would seriously contact the relvent peeps and see what they advise.
once done plz keep us informed on the outcome.

There's no way a company can make you change your hair so that you 'fit in' (armed forces recruits the exception) ...and then to charge for it????

I bet they get a new trainee in every week under this scam! If this story is genuine I can smell compo, and I'm not talking about the bloke with the woolly hat!

AAAhhh , the real world can be a bitter pill to swallow, just give her support and tell her she will get better and also to be prepared to face this king of behaviour.

she'll be alright ;) take them beggars to the tribuneral tho :p

Seriously though op, is she fit and has she got an older sister :confused: :rolleyes: :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:

Just wondering - how does it work with uniforms? If you have a job where they supply you with a uniform, can they charge you for it?

I realise that a hairstyle can't be "given back" like a uniform can, but it's a valid comparison as no-one wants a secondhand pair of trousers and it's unlikely your replacement will have the same name (for the shirt stitching) so the company is unlikely to get further use from the returned uniform.

Additionally, as the girl in question was required to have her (no doubt expensive) extensions removed, as well as additional hair (you can't cut hair without cutting the hair), then I would say that the salon should be compensating her to the tune of about, oooh, £86.50 to have some new extensions fitted. :D

Unfortunately a lot of places realise that a teenager is unlikely to cause much fuss and will shrug and move on. I'm sure many of us have a story about being short-paid or unfairly treated at such a job. :confused: 10 or 20 years on you have the confidence and nouse to argue the toss and then take appropriate action if required.

People who abuse their staff like that are no doubt the same people who end up on TV moaning because his pipes all mysteriously burst after he refused to pay for his new bathroom. :LOL:

Are you suggesting concrete in the main shut off valve in the street trick ?

DonkM.

And when they have no water the OP can go and ask for a wash and blow. :LOL: and see their faces.

wonder if they sold on those expensive hair extensions to another customer?

I got scammed in a similar way, I wrote off a company vehicle after being forced (i.e do it or you are fired) to drive way more than was realistically possibly in one day, ended up falling asleep and crashing. I realised the job wasn't worth it and quit but they stole a months wages to cover the damages, despite the excess being about £200.

I didn't take it any further, but I did poach quite a few of the companies smaller clients who were duly informed of the companies inner workings and how thy were not getting value for money.

Karma, you've got to love it.

Sponsored Links
Back