Furthest radiators poor performance

The one in the pic has a packing gland Tony, they don't leak.

Sponsored Links
Ive drained and refilled the system. All rads are working a treat now. Thanks all!

The one in the pic has a packing gland Tony, they don't leak.

They have an "O" ring which is designed to seal the shaft.

However the nupty installers solder them in place without nremoving the sealing washer or that "O" ring and they are damaged so they dont work a few years later when I have to go to repair the system.

Tony

Sponsored Links
Turning the damn things off with the biggest spanner they can find usually makes sure they ain't gonna work when you want them too. :rolleyes:

Ive drained and refilled the system. All rads are working a treat now. Thanks all!

We'll I spoke too soon. I hadn't turned all the rads on. So now that I have them all on and theres a fairly good differential between in/out pipes, the two problem rads downstairs are stone cold. :(

A bit of background.
One of these rads was always a bit crap, and the other was always great. We got a kitchen extension put in and since then, both of the rads are crap.

The rads in the extension are great. The water is getting to them first, then it goes upstairs and finally to the last two rads. Each of these two rads has one hot pipe and one cold pipe, but the rad never heats.

So, Ive tried, bleeding, flushing and draining and no results. Do I need a stronger pump?

Thanks!

You need to follow my advice without question and to the letter!

Fully close the lockshield, thats the one that should have a blank cap and need a spanner, on each rad.

Then open each one by JUST 3/4 of a turn!

Turn on the heating and leave it for 30 minutes and then feel all the rads and report back with the results.

Tony

Im afraid :D
j/k
I'll take all the advice I can get. I'll be strung up if I fiddle with the heating tonight. It sounds like a Saturday Afternoon job.

Ok, Steps followed.

All rads are hot or very hot except for the two troublesome ones. Neither of these have even a warm inlet pipe.

Fully open the cold ones! Also bleed any air out of them.

VERY carefully close the lockshields on the hot ones by JUST 1/4 turn each !

Then report back.

Tony

All rads are hot or very hot except for the two troublesome ones. Neither of these have even a warm inlet pipe.
If you think of the rads as rungs on the ladder with the boiler connected to the two sides, where do the troublesome rads occur up the ladder? Are they the top two rungs or nearer the bottom?
How many rads do you have?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back