fuse blowing

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I'm a little concerened about a 5 amp lighting fuse on my fuse board that has blown three times in a month. It went again today only today I noticed scorch marks in the fuse wire holder. Having fitted new fuse wire all of the lights that are connected to this fuse work fine, no bulbs blown.

What could be causing this ?, I think even today all of the lights were out when it went as we were not at home.

Also why does the fuse go if there is a problem rather than the trip switch ?, and also the other way, why causes a trip rather than a blown fuse ?

Any help appreciated

Regards
Mark

Sponsored Links
What do you mean by trip switch - what is written on it? If it is an RCD it is looking for an imballance between live and neutral whereas a fuse is looking for overcurrent type faults.
Is there any sign of a lighting cable been damaged? Not been putting any screws/nails in? Problem with outside light i.e. water ingress? What sort of lights are on the circuit in question?

... fuse wire ...

I spy an old installation with a wiring fault

Agree with the water-in-outside-light or the nail-through-cable ideas.

Have a look in light switches and ceiling roses for the fault.

You may have a lighting circuit with no earth wire, in which case start asking round friends and neighbours for a recommended locl electrician.

With the fuse blown (or removed) are there any sockets that do not work.

It is not unknown for sockets to have been added to the lighting circuit as a convenient ( and very bad ) way to get power to the socket with minimum wiring.

Sponsored Links
Have you recently added more lights in the house, or changed bulbs for different wattage?

I think Bernard could have it. Often people put anti-frost heaters on lighting circuits, and it has recently been very cold.

I have also seen a 1kW infra-red bathroom heater on a lighting circuit :eek:

Also check things not obviously "lighting". Fans and alarms are often wired in. V

thanks for all of your replies,

i've checked and its only a few lights that are connected to this fuse, i think it may be the outside light, we've had some very wet weather here recently and there is some moisture inside the fiiting which is quite old. I'm going to replace the fitting this weekend with a new one and see how that goes. If it continues I will get a pro in to have a look.

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Regards
Mark

If you are having to use fusewire in your fuses, suggests that your electrics are well past their sell-by date. I would strongly recommend you get your electrics looked at with a view to having it rewired.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back