Fuse board questions after dodgy builder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Short version….

I was having a kitchen/diner extension and my builder was using a sub contractor for the electrics. For financial reasons, my builder packed up and left (about 8weeks ago). At the point he left, the room was first fixed electrically. Trying to find another builder who was available to complete the project became impossible, so we decided to arrange trades ourselves. The original electrician tried to blackmail me and charge me rent on the cables unless I paid him what the builder owed him. So I won’t be reusing him.

I have 3 kids under 8 and have had to move out because our house just isn’t safe for the little ones. When trades come over to quote, I think they see the situation and take advantage a little and charge a little too much, knowing most people are too busy.

Getting an electrician to come complete someone else’s work and sign it off is going to be a struggle and I don’t want to be taken advantage of any more, so have a few questions to help me know my stuff, luckily I have a little more knowledge of electrics compared to the other trades.

None of the new circuits have been connected to the fuse board. Currently I have a split board, only 1 side of it has an RCD.

basically, Id like to know has been done is correct, what needs to be done and if there’s any need for a 2nd RCD because if I need a new bigger board, it will hold up the fitting of the kitchen.

A new ring circuit has been added for the kitchen. Will this need to be RCD protected?

A new light circuit has been added will this need a RCD

A radial has been run to a new outside socket. The Plan was to connect the existing SWA feeding my shed to the outside socket. There’s already a RCD in the shed, a socket MCB and a light MCB.
What’s the right thing to do with this?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Sponsored Links
Currently I have a split board, only 1 side of it has an RCD.
Virtually all circuits require RCDs. If parts are available for it, installing RCBOs may be an option. Replacement if not.

A new ring circuit has been added for the kitchen. Will this need to be RCD protected?
Yes

A new light circuit has been added will this need a RCD
Yes

The outdoor socket will require RCD protection.
Having another RCD in the shed isn't necessary and any fault could trip either or both of the RCDs.
Not likely that the sockets in the shed need another MCB either. It's a poor design choice.

When trades come over to quote, I think they see the situation and take advantage a little and charge a little too much
Taking on any work that someone else has partially done will always cost significantly more. So will having works done at short notice.

If your contract was with the builder, the spark will need to chase him for monies.

As said, you may well find it impossible for anyone to pick up the job.

I might be tempted to get some legal advice on the wiring situation. If no-one will take it on, you may have to consider starting from scratch.

Sponsored Links
If cables have been plastered into walls then no other electrician can fully certify the installation (safe zones being the main problem, cables buried in insulation being another).
You can get an EICR done, this will give you an MOT for what is there (and will point out any key items missing).
After that (or as part of that) you have to decide what you want and get people in to quote on it. Don't start getting into deep detail about what rating for what circuit, that's for yon electrician to determine. You need a list of what outlets you want where (Sharpie or tape marks on walls are good), where you want lights and their switches (ditto) and what max load you're going to use in the shed (always best imho for shed supply to bypass the house cu & have its own RCD & distro in the shed- saves having to run back thru the house to reset something when you're covered in cack & it's pouring with rain).

Virtually all circuits require RCDs. If parts are available for it, installing RCBOs may be an option. Replacement if not.

So, all new circuits require a RCD but if an RCD won’t fit, I could have RCBO to avoid getting a new bigger board?

Thank You,

So, all new circuits require a RCD but if an RCD won’t fit, I could have RCBO to avoid getting a new bigger board?

Thank You,
In the great scheme of things, a larger replacement cu (if needed) will not be a significant budget entry, nor will it add much to the duration of the job. That's another detail to be considered once you've decided what outlets you want where...

I had the same with a wet room, builder ran off. The problem was I assumed to that point the builder had done it correctly, so step one was inform the LABC I was taking over the job. Seems the builder had not registered the work, and although most builders do all that is required with the LABC it is the owner who is responsible to ensure it is done. Can't untell LABC so then I had to jump through all the loops, and the LABC also went after the builder so he stopped trading so no chance of getting money back.

On the other hand had the builder told the LABC I would have still been in trouble.

It seems the LABC can sign off electrical work, in theory that is the only option, they can either inspect themselves, or get an electrician to do an EICR, and they can either pass it or say need that exposing, you don't get an installation certificate as they can only be issued by person doing the work, but you can still get the completion certificate.

I got a builder to fit lintel rest my son and I did. Speed was essential as £600 a week for mothers care.

So the big question is if LABC is involved? If so both good and bad, but as to how to proceed changes, an electrician can take pity on you and issue a certificate bending the rules, but not if LABC is involved.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back