Fuse board tripping

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I installed a new electric point the other day, used a fuse spur, and put it into a spare breaker on the DB, when I went to switch it on, the DB tripped. I can not figure out why, if the spur was faulty would the breaker not just trip. What have I missed? Thanks. :evil: :arrow:

Sponsored Links
I installed a new electric point the other day, used a fuse spur, and put it into a spare breaker on the DB, when I went to switch it on, the DB tripped. I can not figure out why, if the spur was faulty would the breaker not just trip. What have I missed? Thanks. :evil: :arrow:

What were your test results ?

What device is it that trips ?

You have a split load board and you connected the neutral to the wrong bar.

Sponsored Links
Thanks, but Netural, Earth and Line are in the correct positions, this is why I can not figure out why its tripping!!! :LOL:

When you say the DB tripped I assume you mean distribution board?
If so, is it an RCD main switch that tripped?

yes its the RCD side that trips, but it is just from a standard install of a single socket through a spur into the DB, I even tried piggy backing it onto the downstairs socket circuit, but it tripped the board as well!!!

Goodness, it's a bit sad when a single added spur can't be fault found.

Assumption (correct I hope) is that the circuit worked before you added the spur.

So 'something' you've added on is causing the issue.

What have you added on ? Some cable (could it be faulty) and a socket (could it be faulty).

You say you replicated the fault on another circuit (grd flr ring) and it repeats.
So what's the LCD ?

The socket or the installer making a mistake. I'd like to think it's not human error, so have you tried another socket ?

Also...........

When you say tripped the RCD, is that when a appliance or device is plugged in to the new spur socket or when the fuse / mcb is turned on post the work (and not with an appliance or device in socket) ?

Is the circuit you've attempted the work on been tested ?

A new circuit is notifiable under Part P.

Can you post a pic of the CU? It does sound like what Steve said above. Either that or the cable is damaged or the current using equipment has a fault.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back