Main Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi a friend of mine has a cafe he as been open for 3 yrs
he had a new board installed with breakers twice in the last month the main fuse as blown it is only when he as the fryers on he never had the problem before and today when i felt the main fuse it was hot any ideas what can be wrong
If the fryers are faulty shouldnt the breakers on the board trip first he has a split board with a 45a trip and a 60a rcd on the split load
i look forward to your reply

Sponsored Links
Sounds like a combined overload.The individual circuit protective devices will not operate but the total current drawn from all circuits is greater than the rating of the main fuse.

The installation really needs assessing by a competant electrican.In the mean time I can only suggest that your friend tries to limit the amount of appliances he has on at any one time.

Hi Thanks spoke to him and he said he will look at gas fryers but why is it only happening now as nothing as changed from when it was all installed 3 yrs ago i asked him what was on the back of the fryers he said 230v 6000w hell they seam big prob theres to much draw on the system
PS im Not a sparkie put worked with one for 10yrs so have a bit of knowledge he told me if only one fryers on its ok but 2 on some days glad i dont have to pay his bill
look forward to your replys

Sponsored Links
combined the 2 fryers pull 52 amps.

Along with other equipment, if he only has a 60 amp fuse and the fryers have a long warm up (most do), it could cause the fuse to blow. As someone else said the installation needs assessing for suitability. A 3 phase upgrade may be called for, though gas LPG fryers may be cheaper.

Is it three phase? Possibly the fryers where balanced across the phases, and now they are not.

Hi If he needs the to get the fuse upgraded will western power charge for this or does he have to contact his lecy supplier
the reason Im asking is that his lease payments cover his lecy but he has to pay is own gas as most of the stuff is gas run and if he needs to contcat his supplier we will need contact the landlord to find out who suppys him

Who replaced the fuse the previous times it failed?

If it was the DNO, then they normally would replace the with the highest rating it is safe to do so to prevent the cutout failing on overload again.

If it has failed more than once, then it would suggest to me that the incomming supply may be undersized.

My Mates friend as there was no seal on the main fuse
so do the dno charge to upgrade the fuse or do we need contact npower

Only the DNO should ever replace their service fuse, an no one else.

Seal or no seal it is technically an offence.

The DNO do not normally charge for replacing a failed cutout fuse, and it is not unknown for them to upgrade / replace the cutout while they are there.

They aim to be on site within three hours of an emergency fault call

They will probably charge if you just request a bigger supply.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back