Two electric showers, main fuse overload

Or forget about electric showers completely and have 2x from whatever hot water system they already have.

A 60A fuse is dubious even for 1 electric shower.
Agreed.
If you have an 80A cutout then you might well be OK with one electric shower. You`d perhaps often get away with 2 showers dependant upon use/timing. 100A probably more so. Everybody having a shower on Xmas day just after the electric oven has been started might just be a bit more challenging especially if modern children (say 4 of them and their pals have stopped over too) , grandma and the inlaws have visited and the washer has started its second full cycle and the dryer on its first. Sensible people might make sensible timings to reduce a bit the times of greatest demands but a lot won`t. Simple load shedding of some time could just save the day in some instances.
A small guest house with ten rooms each with a 10KW electric shower fed on one fuseway to a big 6ft dial on the living room floor with selector of 1 to 10 determining which shower terminals are energised at that moment, all controlled by the landlord/landlady might be a solution.
An electro-mechanical solution or a shower priority switch or 7 or an app controlled thingy might offer slightly better solutions

Sponsored Links
One shower in main house, one in the flat under main house, so I have no idea when daughter is using the shower, and vici versa, and was like that when we bought the house, seems unlikely the DNO would have replaced the 60 amp with another 60 amp if it had ruptured, so seems likely it had never ruptured, so seems garage turned into granny flat around 2004, so not ruptured in 19 years seems likely, OK we don't use electric fires, but two kitchens, three bath rooms, etc. So from experience seems unlikely the 60 fuse will rupture.
You might get away with for over 50 years but there again it might want to happen several times a year, or somewhere in between

Some suppliers such as UK Power Networks (see Item 3 here) claim to offer an to upgrade to a 80A or 100A supply for free. Whether that works in practice, or if your DNO will do it I don't know, but it might be worth asking.

Some suppliers such as UK Power Networks (see Item 3 here) claim to offer an to upgrade to a 80A or 100A supply for free. Whether that works in practice, or if your DNO will do it I don't know, but it might be worth asking.
One of the two bordering DNOs next to me always "Upgraded" to 80A cutout so they were justified in fitting 16.0 tails on their bit even though they almost always implied our bit should be 25.0 tails, probably save them a few quid overall if the did some connections and the existing 100A got this 80A replacement too;)

Sponsored Links
Are those figures minutes or hours?:ROFLMAO:
Oh my goodness what am I doing wrong:

I have a cheap event timer showing how many seconds a contact is closed for. Adding a current switch (clamp) to our shower supply I've been able to accurately show the duration our shower is powered for.

A random few days worth of showers from last year:
View attachment 308531
I reckon we must be walking around smelly or something as I'm getting 5 or 6 showers compared to only one by others.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back