Hot Main Fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
My main house fuse is getting very hot when there are any high power electrical appliances on, like the shower or a 2kw heater. None of the fuses blow or are hot apart from the main one, and when there are just standard appliances on, like the TV/PC/Fridge etc. the fuse is cool. Any Ideas on what could be causing this? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
you know

lhadlum said:
My main house fuse is getting very hot when there are any high power electrical appliances on

sounds like you will have to get your supply co to uprate fuse

The main fuse should not get hot if all you have on is a 2KW heater. This might be due to a bad connection with the main supply cables, which should be seen to.

Are you quite sure the fuse is getting hot rather than the cables? What is the fuse rating, does the whole lot look old or new, how thick are the supply cables?

Be careful if they are really old and rubber or cloth rather than pvc.

It's been fine until last week though - we haven't got any different /more appliances than we had before then :(

Sponsored Links
damocles: the fuse gets really hot, nearly too hot to touch, the cables going into the main fuse get warm.

If it is suddenly getting hot and it did not before, then something is wrong.

Are you quite sure that it is not because now it is suddenly cold and you are turning on everything at the same time? But it should not be too hot to touch.

Neighbours pinching your electricity?

I haven't got much plugged in at all - microwave/tv/stereo/dvd/pc/fridge is about all. it's an old fuse box, not a consumer unit, I'm hoping I don't have to get the house re-wired...

You can read how much electricity you have used in half an hour or so from the meter and work out the average current. 1 unit in one hour is an average of 4A. If it is something like 50A then fuse getting warm might be understandable (though not good). If it is more like 10A, then definite problem.

all sounds rather strange to me if thats all your using at a time?
sure theres not 150 10 KW showers out the back garden you'd forgotten about that are being used at once by you're locals? :D

spence_spark: damn gypsies! I didn't notice them camped in my back garden! thanks dude.

I just ran a test, for the first hour I had basic house appliances on (tv, fridge, etc)+1 2kw heater and i used 3 units
for the second hour i put another heater on and i used 4 units - is this a normal unit usage?

The most common cause i've seen for the main fuse getting hot is a loose live terminal at the cut-out. I've seen it at the meter too causing the meter to start melting.

call the emergency number of your REC/DNO and tell them thier equipment is getting hot and you belive it to be a fire risk

I tend to agree with the others here its most likely a bad connection but its not your job to fix it.

What is the REC/DNO? and does this mean it would be the suppliers problem (and their cost :))?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back