Main service fuse

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
what would cause the main bs88 fuse to blow?

whilst plugging in a tv there was a bang and electric went off and would not reset.

old rewireable fuse type and all fuses were ok but the main service fuse had gone.

Sponsored Links
What size is the BS88 fuse?
What size nail is in the BS3036 carrier ;)
Could just be the loading + fault current exceeded the pre arc value for the BS88 before the fault current hit the pre arc of the BS3036.
I take it there is a fault on the back of the socket too?

cant see the size of fuse worn away just said bs88,
back of socket was blown
checked all fuse wire was right size no tin foil or nails etc..
thought age was a consideration, has to been there since house was built about 70 year ish
cant think of anyother reason.

Sponsored Links
I'd get a qualified spark in with test kit in order to test the socket, as there's presumably a fault at it (unlikely to be in the TV as that should have blown the fuse in the TV's plug). You'll then have to get the DNO in to replace the service fuse...

Sometimes the current rating is also stamped on the end of the BS88 fuse.
Is this DNO property?

ezekiel said:
what would cause the main bs88 fuse to blow?

Maybe it was just loaded up to the limit, and then some, before the fault happened. That, I think, is what Spark 123 is implying.

My mother's house once had rewirable fuses in old wooden boxes - quite a few boxes! The original wiring probably consisted of lights and un-switched two-pin sockets. Later on, a number of extensions and the need for bigger sockets resulted in extra fuse boxes being added willy-nilly. But did anybody ever think of uprating the service fuse?

PS: My father blew it once when he wired up a switch and light in parallel. And him a science teacher too! :oops: :oops: :oops:

all test readings came out fine, except there is a d type voltage operated rcd that are outdated now i believe, and its a overhead supply with a ze reading of 229 ohms

Sounds like a TT system - the Ze is a little bit on the high side.
As you probably know, Voltage Operated ELCBs (Earth Leakage Circuit Breakers) are no longer recognised by the regs and as they can be rendered useless by main bonding it is in their best interests to have it replaced by RCD protection.
A VoELCB is not an RCD as it stands for Residual Current Device ;)

VO ELCB's also only measure what's happening in the earth conductors connected to it. If that fault happens along a human being, the VO ELCB will not trip!

If it's a TT, the DNO have nothing to do with the Ze.

It is your responsibility to ensure it is below the permitted value.

darn yes never thought of that, but how from what i can tell there is no sign of earthing rod etc at property, think they are staked at pylons at bottom of streets

Can you upload a photograph the supply intake? Does the installation get it's earth connection?
Supplies being tied down in the street may indicate that PME is available (TN-CS) but you'd have to ask the DNO about that.
If the supply is TT then the DNO have nothing to do with your electrode.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back