FUse box and Electric Meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Guys, in he process of doign some work in the hall, had walls done, basically a bit of decorating left, I want to 'hide' or box away the unsightly fuse box and meter, any suggestions how this is best done? was hting making a wooden box etc? any ideas?

Sponsored Links
if you feel impelled to... :(

it needs ventilation, so leave a gap at top and bottom.

Make it out of material that will not support flame.

plasterboard is OK, or melamine faced chipboard/mdf.You can paint or paper onto them (the outside only).

Make sure it is very easy to open and it is obvious what is behind it. One day someone may need to turn off the power in an emergency.

thanks for that, unfortunately it does have to be covered up as when the plasters skimmed the walls the didnt or couldnt do that area, if you saw it you would cover it too.

i like the plaster board idea as i can paint it the same colour as the wall but unsure how to fix it do the wall - any chance of a sketch or plan?

plasterboard will need a frame to support it you would need to cut with a finnished edge showing or a wooden or plastic edging to finnish the exposed corners or edges to stop crumbeling

i would suggest 12mm mdf as you can butt join and is easily painted

if its in a prominent area you could build a bookshelve or some other bit of simple furniture to help conceal it
with say a cupboard with 1 or 2 doors with shelves above to look a bit like a dresser with the actual width to be in proportion to height and possibly wider than just the meter area

or you could make a book shelve thats quite a bit wider and contain the box within with the front edge of the shelves continuing accross the door with old book bindings glued on to disguise it ;)

Sponsored Links
make it bigger than is required, or better still dont bother, what happens when access is required or it gets changed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back