Fuse energy saying they cant fit a smart meter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi Folks,

My consumer unit is around 5 years old max and I'm being told its not compatible with the new generation of smart meters. Anyone else have or heard of this problem?

From Fuse energy - Our meter operator has told us that if a smart meter is installed with one of these consumer units it will trip the rc2 in your consumer unit.
20231012_200412.jpg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
There have been problems with some old Memshield 2 RCBOs tripping when installed in proximity to a smart meter.
Interesting. What is the mechanism - just the RF field? If so, do they do the same if in proximity to a mobile p[hone?

Kind Regards, John

Hi Folks,

My consumer unit is around 5 years old max and I'm being told its not compatible with the new generation of smart meters. Anyone else have or heard of this problem?

From Fuse energy - Our meter operator has told us that if a smart meter is installed with one of these consumer units it will trip the rc2 in your consumer unit.
View attachment 316793

My BS sensor is working over drive .

If you want a SM, just tell them to fit one

I know I have had problems with CT coils being to close to each other, sorted now by increasing the settings on my iboost, however that was a non smart meter, I had never considered there would need to be 100 mm between each device until I read the iboost+ instructions.

However I would have thought a metal consumer unit would form a good faraday cage, so can't really see any problems.

It's the signals from the communications hub. ... Memshield2 being designed long before modern smart meters existed.
OK, as I imagined - so, as I asked, does that mean that it's devices trip if a mobile phone is in the vicinity of it?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back