fuse for bathroom extractor fan

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I want to add a switched FCU to an existing installation of a bathroom extractor fan - I've searched through other postings here for the relevant diagrams.

I'm planning to replace the existing pull-cord light switch with a DP switch as advised here.

Problem is, I want to replace the current unfused isolator outside the bathroom door with the switched FCU - but the current setup is just switching the permanent live. Neutral and earth are connected via a JB in the loft.

So is it okay to go ahead and replace the existing isolator switch with the SFCU? Or is there a better way to do it?

Sponsored Links
the isolator is there to isloate all poles (live, neutral & switched live) an fcu will not do that that.

why do you want an fcu anyway?

I've read various bits of advice (on this forum and elsewhere) that ideally a bathroom extractor should be fused down to 3A - to comply with manufacturer's recommendations, if nothing else.
Just trying to make sure I've got everything covered while I'm tidying up the (previous owner's) installation ...

breezer said:
the isolator is there to isloate all poles (live, neutral & switched live) an fcu will not do that that.
Yes it will...

fanwiring.jpg

Sponsored Links
I think breezer meant that it won't work in the way that I was proposing to do it (just switching the live) - in which case it's a switch, not an isolator.
I'll follow your diagram to do it properly - thanks.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back