Fuse holder at meter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know what the black fuse holder (looks like one) to the right of the meter is for? The place at one time had electric heating. The meter is an Ampy 5162E.

harlow-meter.jpeg

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
It looks like a Fuse Holder for either a Type 88 or perhaps a Small 1361, where does that grey cable popping out of it at the top go? Is it coming out the meter?

I think if I'm not mistaken those white fuse carriers have Asbestos inside them.

its all a bit economy 7 looking, with a clue being the meter label.

Is it just a junction box?

Sponsored Links
might have been for the timeclock, but the photos don't show enough.

We have one the same powering the mechanical time clock, which then feeds a signal back to the meter switching it beck and forth.

Can this safely be removed as the electrical heating has been ripped out?

another view

Attachments

• harlow-meter-3.jpeg
    harlow-meter-3.jpeg
    117 KB · Views: 336
The big black box is a contactor. The CU is not used as it was for the storage heaters only.

Attachments

• harlow-meter-4.jpeg
    harlow-meter-4.jpeg
    225.5 KB · Views: 745
Isolator is upside down.

Says "NO" with toggles downward.
Should be "ON" with toggles upward.

The reason for having switches "off" when facing down is that if anything falls on them and knocks them downward, they will go to Safe.

The enclosure cover also has the "accessible terminals" hatch cover at the bottom, which is the Supply side, and does not seem to have retaining screws.

Last edited:
Yes, a mess and all coming out. Even the fuse holder, now it is known what it was for. I assume the cream metal box under the meter is the main fuse. It all appears about 70 years old.

Last edited:
Yes, a mess and all coming out. Even the fuse holder, now it is known what it was for.

What will you do with the Switched Live ( time controlled ) from the meter to the fuse..

As AndyPRK has said, it is not yours to mess with.

If you do start to mess with it then you should arrange for a person to be there to call the emergency services and the DNO shuld you really mess it up.

Even better if that person can perform CPR and/or provide first aid for severe burns.

Should I have the fire brigade and ambulances standing by as well?

Did I say I was doing it? Everything from the meter onwards is the property of the property owner. From a personal point of view, from someone who once installed generating equipment and associated switchgear, this is child's play. I am not familiar with the meter. I assume it needs a 230v signal to get it to operate. I believe now, this was once given by a timer, but now a permanent signal keeps it operating.

It is better to get the meter changed to a meter that was not geared for timing, eliminating the fuse or the timer signal?

So how does this meter operate? A cable from the main fuse to a fuse protecting a timeclock and then back to the meter. I assume as dedicated terminal on the meter for this. The timeclock is removed and linked across as the clock is gone.

I assume this an economy 7 meter that is now acting as a normal meter.
An assumption again, a short link inside the meter cover is all that is needed to remove the fuse holder, which is now fusing nothing.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsored Links
Back