Fuse in Red Fuse Link Holder

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hey all,

I wanted to check, is there anything in the regulations that specifies it's NOT allowed to put a fuse in a red fuse link holder? I've recently moved into a new property and they are telling me that the fuse holder in my metering cabinet contains a fuse, not a link... yet it's a red holder...

Any feedback appreciated :)

Martyn

Sponsored Links
I wanted to check, is there anything in the regulations that specifies it's NOT allowed to put a fuse in a red fuse link holder?
As you have asked the question, what do you see as the difference between a "fuse" and a "fuse link"?

I've recently moved into a new property and they are telling me that the fuse holder in my metering cabinet contains a fuse, not a link... yet it's a red holder...
Who are "they"?

Why do they care?

What exactly is it they say they care about?

What do you mean by "the" fuse holder?

Photos would be an enormous help.

As I understood it a fuse is a normal fuse, a fuse link is a link which happens to fit in a fuse holder.

They are the freeholder, i'm in an apartment block.

I was trying to get the meter replaced but the supply company won't change it based on an isolation from a red link fuse alone, they want to pull the incomer fuse.

As I understood it a fuse is a normal fuse, a fuse link is a link which happens to fit in a fuse holder.
Could be.

Or it could be that someone is, for some reason best known to themselves, getting excited about the difference between a cartridge fuse and a rewirable one.

Or it could be that you were spoken to by someone who doesn't have a clue what they are talking about.

They are the freeholder
Why are they concerning themselves with the nature of the fusible component in this device? Did they install it?

I was trying to get the meter replaced
Why?

but the supply company won't change it based on an isolation from a red link fuse alone
I don't see what difference the type of fuse makes to whether removing it isolates the supply or not.

they want to pull the incomer fuse.
One for the whole block, I assume?

The meter operator has his working procedures to follow. If you are entitled to have your meter changed then he must find a way to accommodate you.

But really we need to know what on earth they are on about, and why.

Sponsored Links
What you seem to be referring to is a system where the DNO will have a central supply position where the fuses will be situated with sub-services to each flat with a cut-out in the flat fitted with a link.
It was done this way to provide local isolation for, say, changing the meter!!

So I would suggest that the meter operator is talking a load of rubbish it is acceptable to pull the link to isolate, or he should find the main cut-out and isolate there.

If however they do want to main incomer fuse pulled it is up to them to contact the DNO to arrange it, as all of the fuse and links units will be the responsibility of the DNO, not you or the landlord.

Thought that was the case, the landlord said that the red link fuse in my box should have the fuse in it. My understanding was that red holders aren't allowed to have fuses in them as this is the colour for links, is that correct?

Thought that was the case, the landlord said that the red link fuse in my box should have the fuse in it. My understanding was that red holders aren't allowed to have fuses in them as this is the colour for links, is that correct?

Generally the supply should/will be fused as close to the entry to the building as possibe, so the landlord may not be correct.

Very much a choice for the DNO depending on the make and design of the cut-out they use regarding the colour and use of the fuse carrier.

The Red fuse holder in your flat was provided for the purpose of isolating the meter for maintenance - is there a cable running from the red fuse directly to the meter??

Yeah, there is. It's right next to the meter and all the cabling between the two is surface mounted

Westie, I'm curious. If you have a building that contain 30 flats, each with own meter, how does it work?

Does it like, main incomer - main isolator - distribution board containing all fuses for all flats, - flat isolator - cable to flat - incomer with link - meter - CU?

Daniel.

Incoming cable, large power cut-out, multi fuseboard (basically large numbers of 100A fuses, one for each flat)n then either: -
sub-main to each flat, cut-out unfused, meter
or meter switch-fuse and private cable to flats.

Something like these as the incomer

http://www.wt-henley.com/low_voltage_fusegear-multiway_service_heads.html

For smaller groups you might find a 3ph cutout with an extra fuse way at ground floor,with fuses in each way. (the 4th usally for landlords lighting)
One meter at that level. Then cables going up to the next two levels for a flat on each with a solid link & meter for these flats.

The trouble is that a lot of meter fixers have no idea of how it all works.
We got asked to change to 200A capacity 3ph cut-out feeding one of those boards to a 100A type as the meter fixer was no allowed to remove the fuses to change a meter.
There was no more heard after I pointed out the 7 way unit containing standard cut-out fuses above the one they wanted changed.

Last edited:
There was no more heard after I pointed out the 7 way unit containing standard cut-out fuses above the one they wanted changed.
And that's the problem - nothing is heard, nothing is done, and the ignorance and incompetence perpetuates.

Somebody sent that meter operative out with insufficient training. That someone should be found and prosecuted.

Yeah we have exactly that system Westie, main incomer comes into a lucy box then out again, Lucy box is fused and a link at the end of the 100 amp run to the flat.

Metering guy thinks that the link isn't suitable as an isolation... I've asked them to send out a different engineer next time :(

*sigh*

So I would suggest that the meter operator is talking a load of rubbish it is acceptable to pull the link to isolate, or he should find the main cut-out and isolate there. ... If however they do want to main incomer fuse pulled it is up to them to contact the DNO to arrange it, as all of the fuse and links units will be the responsibility of the DNO, not you or the landlord.
I thought that meter operators were usually trained and 'allowed' to pull the fuses from appropriate types of DNO cutout? If that were not the case, every meter operator would have to have a DNO person constantly 'in tow', wouldn't they?

Kind Regards, John

The meter operatives are generally trained and authorised by their own employer, it would not surprise me that their own folk don't know or understand how the network operates or the issues they face

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back