Replacing ceiling lamp holder - which wire goes where?

Sponsored Links
No it doesn't. Two (or more) switches side by side on a faceplate are two (or more) separate switches. They have no shared parts.

What I meant was one of the switches on one two way, and one of the switches on the other...

I will decline that offer, thank you

Accepted :)

So you have two lights controlled by 2x2way switches

Yep, that's right. But just to be clear.....
- 2 way switch at beginning of landing. Switch one does a single light in the stairwell. Switch two does the two landing lights in question.
- 2 way switch at end of landing. Switch one does a single light in the bathroom. Switch two does the two landing lights in question.

I appreciate you want to sort this out, but you can't because what I said earlier must be sorted out first.

Fair enough. And 'm definitely getting someone in to take a look. But what does usually happen to the earths when they are at plastic light fittings?

But what does usually happen to the earths when they are at plastic light fittings?
Just position it out of the way and ensure the copper does not touch anything it shouln't by whatever means you choose.

Do not cut it off; you might need it one day.

Just position it out of the way and ensure the copper does not touch anything it shouln't by whatever means you choose

OK, so when donrkebab says:

As I suspected, looks very dodgy ie dangerous.

The earth wires have not been connected, and you have what looks like a borrowed live or a borrowed neutral and that is potentially dangerous.

It's the second part which is the more worrying? And the earths would just need terminating safely? Together... separately... doesn't matter?

I know it sounds like I'll be tackling it myself but I won't. It's just that I've got my head at least half round it and so have the desire to fully understand it.

Cheers

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back