Fuse keeps blowing in boiler plug

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All,

Sorry for too much detail below, but I didn't want to leave anything important out.

Around two days ago, my boiler stopped working. I eventually found out that there was no power into the separate controller / timer unit, therefore the boiler would not turn on. I have now replaced the controller (a Landis and Gyr RWB2), with a Siemens RWB29. I have also replaced the fuse in the plug. The plug says 13 Amps, but there was a 3 Amp fuse in the plug previously. I put in a 13 Amp fuse to begin with, but once I switched it on, it tripped the switch at the fuse box. I therefore switched it to a new 3 Amp fuse, and at this point the boiler started working again.

However, the pump within the airing cupboard was running extremely hot (much hotter than the pipes feeding the water in), and also making a humming noise.

I left the hot water and central heating on for a while, but I have now seen that there is again no power to the controller - my assumption is that the fuse has blown again, but I haven't checked that yet.

Any idea what could be causing this? I have an Ideal Mexico CF 100 if that makes a difference.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
It sounds like the pump to me, it should be 3 amp by the way, don't use 13.

Thanks for the response. If it is the pump, is there anything I can do to sort it out, or would I need to get someone out to look at it?

If a pump is faulty then it needs to be replaced.

Depending on how its fitted then it could be a DIY job for anyone with very large tools. But perhaps 35% can be very difficult to remove and in many cases the wrong type of isolation valves have been fitted which will not work.

To change a pump perhaps £84 plus the pump at cost of about £95 for a conventional one but we are really meant to fit the smart pumps now at about £140.

Tony

Sponsored Links
To change a pump perhaps £84 plus the pump at cost of about £95

Tony

Or perhaps it may be a completely different price.

Tony: You would actually catch the tube and a bus, and change a pump with all the possible problems, for your diagnosis fee?

OP: it does sound like your pump is the problem. If everything was perfect, a pump could be changed in less than half hour, not including travel (and parking) time, plus time to properly diagnose. Followed by the cost of inhibitor, paperwork time and clearing up.

On the other hand, there are occasions where it can require new valves and draining down, which would cost considerably more.

I tried changing the fuse again this morning, on the off chance that could help. After replacing, the controller powered up for a second or two, but the boiler did not fire up, and then the controller immediately lost power again.

This is making me doubt that the pump is the problem, as it wasn't doing anything in this instance. Is there anything else that could cause this to happen?

I've contacted the landlord to explain the situation and see if I should get someone out, but I'm trying to avoid this unless really necessary, since it'll be Easter Sunday rates.

I've contacted the landlord to explain the situation and see if I should get someone out,.
No, he should.

Why are you bothering with it?

It is the landlord's responsibility and you shouldn't be fiddling with it.

He lives abroad, so it's not often practical for him to sort things out

I've contacted the landlord to explain the situation and see if I should get someone out, but I'm trying to avoid this unless really necessary, since it'll be Easter Sunday rates.

So now you tell us that you are a tenant!

Its the landlord's responsibility to pay for any repairs although with his consent you can make the arrangements.

If you damage the system you will be responsible and the landlord can make you pay for that from your deposit when you leave. I never understand why some tenants want to take that risk.

Where possible, if the pump is suitable, I only change the pump head. That I can manage using public transport. If I need to change the veloute then I need to go there by my own transport to carry large stilsons etc.

Either way usually £84 plus pump but more if system needs draining and pump valves changing.

Tony

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back