fuse size for 10.8Kw shower

• Thread starter Andrew Haughton
  • Start date
A

Andrew Haughton

My Mira Vie 10.8Kw shower specifies a 45amp fuse but the largest available MCB for the crabtree consumer unit in our house is 40 amp. This is according to a reputable electrical supplier in town. A friendly electrician there did, however, volunteer that for a short usage appliance such as a shower, 40 amps would be sufficient.
Taking into account the fact that we have some off-spring who have been known to spend 10 minutes or more in the shower, can anyone tell me if this was safe advice or not?
Cheers

Sponsored Links
10.8kW is 45A @240v (on the nail) so you should really be fitting a 50A MCB and 10mm T&E.

45A is an odd size for a MCB, I'm sure that Crabtree will do a 50A (especally if it's a Loadstar or Starbreaker CU).. if it's an older CU then you will probably need to get a seperate "Shower CU" which will also have an RCD.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back