Fused consumer unit v MCB unit

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just bought a house (built 1983) and it has a fused consumer unit. I have been told that this is now illegal and must be changed to MCBs. Is this correct?

Sponsored Links
wasn't an "electrician" that told you that was it? and did he give you an "instant quote?

fuses are ok but mcbs are better, it is possible (especially for a wylex consumers unit) that you can get plug in mcb's no need to change the consumers unit

breezers right, nowt wrong with a fused unit or half the country plus would be breaking the law. I believe mem can be a straight swap as well, depending on age/model of con unit.

If you do decide to go for the MCB set up, you might want to consider a split RCD fusebox.

RCD stands for residual current device and detects earth leakage. Basically it trips a lot quicker than your basic MCB fuse and is normally used to protect socket circuits, cookers, electric showers and the like.

A split RCD fusebox allows some of the circuits to be protected by just MCBs (say the lighting circuits) and others to be protected by MCBs but backed up by an RCD.

It makes a lot more sense when you see the box - not as complicated as it might sound and with so many high current appliances in the home, it makes a lot of sense.

Tin.

Sponsored Links
that's not strictly true, akmcinnes is only asking should he have a new consumers unit, to which Scoby_Beasley and myself suggest that certain consumers units can have their fuses replaced by mcb's, so to mention the option of an RCD only confuses things, since you can not plug an RCD into an existing consumers unit like you can RCD's

You are also not quite right with your description of an RCD, as you said it detects and trips when there is an earth leakage (? to the non understanding) the only reason it as you said "trips quicker than an rcd" is because mcb (miniature Circuit Breaker) is designed to do just that, break a circuit (due to too much current being drawn than it is rated for, ie if 7.5 ams goes through a 5 amp mcb it will trip) but an RCD would never notice this because it is only "monitoring" any current that is drawn too much on one side, i. e gone down to earth.

for a more detailed explanation of how an RCD works (in plain English) see

this

my pleasure, i only wish we had an auto spell checker (i know there is no pleasing some of us)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back