Fused spare

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Is it possible to run an extention lead from the upstairs ring, then replace the extention lead socket with a fused spare, and wire an Electric toothbrush into the fused spare?

I have a photo in my album but not sure what to do with it :D

Thank you

Sponsored Links
Next to window 4 foot above hand basin 9 feet away from shower cubicle

Sponsored Links
Have a read of this first:

//www.diynot.com/wiki/electrics:speclcn:bathroom_zones

Its not quite clear in your description and diagram but are you saying that you intend your use an extension cable to connect to the fused connection unit?
That was the thought I just need to know if it is a no no The fused spare would be outside the 3 Zones (0, 1, 2) 2foot from the window 4 foot above basin 9 foot from shower no bath fitted

Its not quite clear in your description and diagram but are you saying that you intend your use an extension cable to connect to the fused connection unit?
That was the thought I just need to know if it is a no no The fused spare would be outside the 3 Zones (0, 1, 2) 2foot from the window 4 foot above basin 9 foot from shower no bath fitted

No you cannot do what you propose.

Doesn't the toothbrush holder come with a shaver socket type plug?
If so you would be better off having shaving socket installed instead.

Same problem though getting the supply to the area I need the socket, If I cant use an extention lead Nearest ring socket already has a spare from it to the loft.

Is ther a limit to the length you can run a spare from a socket on the upstairs ring?

Same problem though getting the supply to the area I need the socket, If I cant use an extention lead Nearest ring socket already has a spare from it to the loft
You cannot run a spur from a spur.
If I assume that the toothbrush is powered by a shaver type plug, then you can use a shaver socket which is normally powered from the lighting circuit not a ring final circuit.
Also whatever you put in the bathroom will have to be protected by an RCD.

We had an RCD main board fitted when the house was rewired 2 years ago

so a shaver socket can be run from the lighting circuit?

Shaver sockets are for shavers. Not toothbrushes or anything else.

Remove the 2 pin plug from the toothbrush, fit a normal plug on it and use it in an existing socket.
There is no need for toothbrush chargers to be plugged in 24/7, and no need to have the charger unit in the bathroom either.

We had an RCD main board fitted when the house was rewired 2 years ago

so a shaver socket can be run from the lighting circuit?

Yes it can - it can also be run from a ring final circuit via a 3 Amp FCU or whatever the manufacturers instructions say.
However, because such an addition would come under Part P of the Building Regulations, if you wanted to do it yourself you would have to notify your Local Authority Building Control Office and pay their fee.
Alternatively, you could employ a registered electrician.

Remove the 2 pin plug from the toothbrush, fit a normal plug on it and use it in an existing socket

And remove the 13 amp fuse and replace with a 3 amp or less.

My neighbour didn't and 3 Kwatts ( max for a 13 amp fuse ) heating a small cube of messed up components and melting plastic made a mess on the shelf and the smell was terrible.

It was a very cheap and very nasty battery charger for a power tool.

Shaver sockets are for shavers. Not toothbrushes or anything else.
Sorry Flameport you are wrong with this statement - Toothbrushes and their ancilliary equipment are one of the few electrical items that are excempt from having to have a standard 3 pin plug.
They are specifically designed to utilise the shaver socket and of course other two pin outlets with appropriate adapter.

Remove the 2 pin plug from the toothbrush, fit a normal plug on it and use it in an existing socket.
This will guarantee you will lose your guarantee.

There is no need for toothbrush chargers to be plugged in 24/7, and no need to have the charger unit in the bathroom either.
Agreed, I plug mine into a socket in the bedroom via one of these as recommended by the manufacturer.
http://www.kikatek.com/product_info.php?products_id=61202&source=froogle

Sorry Flameport you are wrong with this statement - Toothbrushes and their ancilliary equipment are one of the few electrical items that are excempt from having to have a standard 3 pin plug.
They are specifically designed to utilise the shaver socket and of course other two pin outlets with appropriate adapter.

Except that many of them take more power than the transformer in a UK shaver outlet is designed tp provide on a continuous basis.

Using a safer plug is un-likely to void the quarantee.

via one of these as recommended by the manufacturer.

As long as the fuse and the pins of the two pin plug are properly and tightly gripped by the adaptor that is a good solution.

Symbol and wording for shavers only, just as they all do.

As for the guarantee - the original question involved cutting the plug off and connecting it to a fused spur.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back