Fused spur-lighting Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello good people,
I want to install an under stairs light. Can I use power from an existing 3 amp fused spur (which provides power to our alarm system)
It would just be a single gang light switch and ceiling rose.
Thankyou.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

If you took the new cable from the supply side of the alarm (Switched) Fused Connection Unit to either -

just a normal switch if a fuse is not necessary, or

another SFCU if a fuse is necessary.

That way they could be independently operated.

The supply side of the alarm FCU could well be direct from a 32a ring circuit. In fact most likely as an alarm FCU would not be required on a lighting circuit. So don’t use it.

So take your supply for the under stairs light from one of your lighting circuits. If your CU is also under the stairs take it from the upstairs lighting circuit so if the downstairs were to ever trip you still have light under the stairs. If the upstairs trips hopefully there will be enough light from downstairs to see.

Sponsored Links
Yes.

If you took the new cable from the supply side of the alarm (Switched) Fused Connection Unit to either -

another SFCU if a fuse is necessary.

That way they could be independently operated.

Thanks for the info,
All done and dusted and we have light under the stairs. Easy job and the Wifes happy.

Yes.

Ignore Winston, just as he ignored your saying it is from a fused spur.
NEVER EVER TELL PEOPLE TO IGNORE OTHERS.

EFL suggested taking the feed from the input side of the fused spur straight to a switch and ceiling rose. He is dangerous and wrong as it is most likely the input side of the FCU is straight on a 32 amp ring.

This is what he said:

"If you took the new cable from the supply side of the alarm (Switched) Fused Connection Unit to either -

another SFCU if a fuse is necessary."

No explanation of when a FCU was necessary. Very dangerous advice.

Rotadays: What I said is perfectly acceptable.
Winston is a pain, but I have to agree with him here.

You said "just a normal switch if a fuse is not necessary, or another SFCU if a fuse is necessary." but gave no advice on how to determine if a fuse was necessary. It is not reasonable to assume that someone who is at a skill level where they have to ask questions like the one in the original post can determine by themselves if a fuse is necessary.

Thankyou plugwash, but the first 4 words are unnecessary and incorrect as you go to explain that I was correct.

Last edited:
EFLI was correct - but I thought his message a bit hard for a DIYer to follow, took me a couple of attempts to read and understand it.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back