Fused spur

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Does anyone know if it is permissable to mount a fused spur on a plywood panel about 5mm thick. I am having an electric fire fitted on Thursday which requires a fused spur and the only place close enough is a plywood panel to the side of the fireplace.

Sponsored Links
electrical acessories should be fitted to the fabric of the building not to e.g. built-in or movable furniture.

if this is a sort of timber cladding to the wall it woulf be preferable to cut a hole in it and fasten your box to or in the wall behind.

if you can post some pics of the location it will help us see what you mean.

Thanks John D, it is a permanent fixing, it was covering where the pipes went into the back boiler when we had solid fuel. I suppose the builder used plywood rather than plasterboard so that i had access to the pipes coming from the boiler if needed without damaging the wall. It measures 80cm by 45cm by 7mm thick and is screwed to a wood frame.
I assume if it was plasterboard it would be ok to use it but i was concerned about regulations with the plywood being flammable.

the back box for an FCU will not support a flame so gives you a suitable enclosure.

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back