Fused switch connector install help

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Trying to install a fused switch connector to my wall socket for outside light. Running from power from house to connector, switch on or off to turn outside light on.
connected it as i think it should be done (see diagram) but it simply isnt working, ive changed bulb in light, fuse and switched all in/out wires around, still nothing, but the socket still works fine. Any ideas?

diagram is under my album thing on here, sorry im a noob lol[/img]

Sponsored Links
Trying to install a fused switch connector to my wall socket for outside light.
What did you do about Building Regulations approval?

(see diagram)
Can't.

but it simply isnt working, ive changed bulb in light, fuse and switched all in/out wires around, still nothing, but the socket still works fine.
Have you confirmed that you've got continuity with the cable?

Any ideas?
[/img]
ItsAnybodysGuess.jpg

View media item 47062
Looking at your diagram it should work.
Have you tested for continuity and polarity?
Have you also checked the cables are correctly terminated and tight with good contact to bare conductors within terminals.
Does the light have PIR setting dusk till dawn, does the switch need a double(repeated) switch on to stay live?

Sponsored Links
What did you do about Building Regulations approval?
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_ADP_2006.pdf

General guidance h + i on page 9 state that this work is non notifiable so why would the op have to have building regs approval?
It will depend where the feed was taken from, if a kitchen socket maybe and the location of the S/FCU :idea:
But if the light is fixed to the house and no outside connection such as junction boxes, ie the cable is connected within the fitting enclosure with no external joints. Would not require notification. Providing the internal connection are not made within the location deemed notifiable!

It will depend where the feed was taken from, if a kitchen socket maybe and the location of the S/FCU

As it states in approved document p general guidance h (page 9)!

I was merely getting at as the op has not said where the switched FCU is mounted or where the supply is coming from then buildings approval may not be required!

I was merely getting at as the op has not said where the switched FCU is mounted or where the supply is coming from then buildings approval may not be required!
I have no doubt you were, you was making a fair point and I was only elaborating on the requirement for notification. Was not trying to contradict your post, apologises if it seemed I was!
There would also be a case for the requirement of RCD protection, if non was already on the circuit the feed was taken and cables are buried less than 50mm within wall. In this case it would be advisable to install a RCD protected fused spur (down fused to 3A-5A) next to socket the feed is being taken and route from there to switch then light.

right ok alot of information there. The sfc is going next to the socket which is in the front upper bedroom. The previous owner installed the light and simply pluggedit into a socket with a normal plug on, i want to free up that socket by adding the sfc next to it, the cable sits about 3mm into the wall which i had to channel out, as for rcd protection would i really need that as its simply a gloryfied extention lead im installing?!?
As for the connecting wire theres no sleeve on the earth wire its just bare wire, the l and n are sleeved but no the earth, as i showed in the diagram its connected correctly but simply wont work :( im thinking the only possible problem is the wire that connects the two, could i be right?cheers

I`ll bet the Lamp is`nt sitting on the contacts properly , Fitted lots of these and occassionally I miss locating the Lamp on the Contacts

Lucky

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back