Fused switched spur in bathroom.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am about to replace an electric shower (9Kw fed from RCB protected circuit and pull cord switch in bathroom) with a shower unit which has a "proccessor" requiring a 3A DP switched fused spur.

As the circuit for the existing shower will be redundant, and as that the "proccessor" for the new shower will be in the loft space. Is it OK to replace the pull switch from the existing circuit with a 3A fused switched spur.

This item will then be RCB protected and ceiling mounted, but in a bathroom.

Sponsored Links
Likely OK but depends on if the FCU is of a type which can be used in the area you want to use it.

I am guessing you are using a power shower now that uses domestic hot water not just cold. If it goes wrong it would blow fuse, but other wise the fuse will never blow, so why not put the FCU in the loft? as if fuse blows you will want to inspect the whole unit anyway so see why fuse has blown.

Likely OK but depends on if the FCU is of a type which can be used in the area you want to use it.

I am guessing you are using a power shower now that uses domestic hot water not just cold. If it goes wrong it would blow fuse, but other wise the fuse will never blow, so why not put the FCU in the loft? as if fuse blows you will want to inspect the whole unit anyway so see why fuse has blown.

Thanks for that. Existing shower is one that heats cold water. The replacement will take water from a combi boiler.

Take your point about putting the FCU in the loft. Dare say an IP rated FCU in the bathroom is going to look a bit industrial.

As you are know installing a thermostatic shower for an electrical shower. then I can see know reason why the redundant circuit could not be used to supply a 3A FCU (providing the circuit was still safe for continued service). The FCU would have to be suitable for the location in which it was installed and placed in an easily accessible location for maintenance, inspection and test.

Sponsored Links
I am about to replace an electric shower (9Kw fed from RCB protected circuit and pull cord switch in bathroom) with a shower unit which has a "proccessor" requiring a 3A DP switched fused spur.
As others have said, provided it is assessible, suitable for use in the location and (no-one seems to have mentioned this so far) outside of the bathroom 'zones', I see no problem with what you propose.

However, I'm a a little intrigued. If, as I understand it, you will be installing a thermostatic shower run from a combi boiler, what on earth is there for this 'processor' to process?!

Kind Regards, John

http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/link/1/pwqu0113_14289_t.pdf
Thanks. Interesting. An awful lot to go wrong, there. Very snazzy/sexy/technological but I would probably be inclined to feel that it somewhat negates the simplicity which I regard is the main attraction of a thermostatic mixer shower.

... but, of course, I was brought up in the era when domestic showers of any sort were almost unknown - so undoubtedly qualify as an 'oldie' in this context :)

Kind Regards, John

Yes, definitely.

The only advantage I can see, and it is quite a significant one, is that an electric shower can be replaced by a plumbed mixer system requiring only the single pipe which is already there.

Now if we can only invent something to press the button for us.

Yes, definitely. The only advantage I can see, and it is quite a significant one, is that an electric shower can be replaced by a plumbed mixer system requiring only the single pipe which is already there.
Yes, I suppose that might reduce the work/disruption within the shower cubicle.
Indeed. I think BAS has almost got there with his 'behind the tile' whatsit!

Kind Regards, John

Yes, definitely.

The only advantage I can see, and it is quite a significant one, is that an electric shower can be replaced by a plumbed mixer system requiring only the single pipe which is already there.

Indeed that is what I am doing. The shower cubicle doesnt lend itself to the back entry needed by most thermostatic valves, so it would mean a lot of exposed pipework and an end result looking like a ships engine room.
The single pipe for the aqualisa item also doubles as the riser rail for the shower head.

I have decided to blank off the existing shower pull cord switch and feed through to a switched fused spur in the loft space adjacent to the 'proccessor unit'.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts comments and experience.

Why not leave the pull switch where it is, and fit the switched fused spur in the loft?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back