fused switches in kitchen cupboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi,

I'm having my kitchen done, and the plan show the fused switches for the cooker, etc is in one of the cupboards on the wall. A sparkie came out this week and now tells me that we cant do that as they have to be accessible.... the kitchen people tell me that they have never come across this requirement before.

Can anyone tell me which regulations (is it 17th edition - or building regs) says where these need to be located ... I want to do the right thing and would like to be armed with the info to go back to the kitchen guy.

Thanks in advance

Finty

Sponsored Links
kitchen people have a poor reputation for understanding electrical safety.

I'm having my kitchen done, and the plan show the fused switches for the cooker, etc is in one of the cupboards on the wall. A sparkie came out this week and now tells me that we cant do that as they have to be accessible.... the kitchen people tell me that they have never come across this requirement before.

Can anyone tell me which regulations (is it 17th edition - or building regs) says where these need to be located ... I want to do the right thing and would like to be armed with the info to go back to the kitchen guy.

My regs book is 120 miles away this weekend so I cannot find the reg but we had an issue on a site about this a few months back where they fitted a spur inside one of the cupboards. The regs state they have to be fitted to the building fabric so not to the cupboards. It also has to be accessable. I know the guy who did the building inspection said there was a building reg that stated that this cannot be done and we had to move it before it was signed off. Its in the electricians guide to the building regulations and on site guide IIRC.

I also remember Its do with fixed equipment and switching off for maintenance, so 132.15.1 and 537.3.2.4.

So I would say no, and I would also get rid of the spark if they cannot read a regs book they should not be doing the work. "the kitchen people tell me that they have never come across this requirement before" SHOWS THEY HAVE NOT READ BS7671, the on site guide or the electricians guide to the building regulations. All these I carry on me when on jobs as well as GN3.

If any one has copy's on them they can find the sections for you or I can find them tomorrow when I am back in Yorkshire,

We can give you the reg numbers if you like and scans and you can show them to the kitchen fitters.

Adam

Sponsored Links
Moderator 11, I did the quote so people could see what it was in respect to as the other post above it went off a bit off topic. Why complain at me now when I have done loads of posts in a simular manner? So you want the quote removing and just leave my reply? I think that is going to lead to confusion hence why I use quotes!

Its do with fixed equipment and switching off for maintenance, so I would be quoting 132.15.1 "suitably placed for ready operation" or 537.3.2.4 "readily identifiable and convenient".

Where have I read that before, suppose I should be pleased to be plagiarised :LOL:

Where did that come from! I used your post to find the reg numbers as I did not have the book on me but did not paste the entire sentance!

Its do with fixed equipment and switching off for maintenance, so I would be quoting 132.15.1 "suitably placed for ready operation" or 537.3.2.4 "readily identifiable and convenient".

Where have I read that before, suppose I should be pleased to be plagiarised :LOL:

Where did that come from! I used your post to find the reg numbers as I did not have the book on me but did not paste the entire sentance!

Oh yes you did, :LOL: and you know it, :LOL:

I can see where I went wrong, at least you know others are learning from what you post here! On the same matter do you know the building reg I am thinking of? I know it mentions building fabric and all electrical accessorys should be fitted to the building fabric.

Adam

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back