Fuseing neutral

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Out of intersting, can you give me ALL the reasons why we shouldn't fuse the neutral (only) to a light. with e.g 5A fuse.

Sponsored Links
Out of intersting, can you give me ALL the reasons why we shouldn't fuse the neutral (only) to a light. with e.g 5A fuse.
I would have thought that by far the most important reason for not fusing a neutral (whether alone, or also with a fused 'live') is the pretty obvious safety issue - that a neutral fuse can blow, making it appear that no power was getting to whatever was downstream of the fuse, even though there could still be a live feed to the load/whatever.

Another, I would say less crucial, issue with 'neutral only' fusing is that the fuse would not blow as a result of an L-E fault.

Kind Regards, John

What kind of apparatus are you working with that actually makes provision for you to fit a fuse in the neutral line.

Sponsored Links
yes there is the obvious personal safetly issue.

"Another, I would say less crucial, issue with 'neutral only' fusing is that the fuse would not blow as a result of an L-E fault."

This was the concern I was thinking off. The RCD would protect this though.
And the fuse would protect the cable from overload

This was the concern I was thinking off. The RCD would protect this though.
If there were an RCD.
And the fuse would protect the cable from overload
Are you still talking about a fuse in the neutral? If so, that would not protect the live conductor in the cable from overload, in the event that there were an L-E fault and no RCD.

Kind Regards, John

Even an RCD might not be double pole. Live earth faults not being disconnected would be the main reason for me.

I would have thought that by far the most important reason for not fusing a neutral (whether alone, or also with a fused 'live') is the pretty obvious safety issue - that a neutral fuse can blow, making it appear that no power was getting to whatever was downstream of the fuse, even though there could still be a live feed to the load/whatever.

Another, I would say less crucial, issue with 'neutral only' fusing is that the fuse would not blow as a result of an L-E fault.
Live earth faults not being disconnected would be the main reason for me.
Indeed - as I said, that appears to be one of the two main issues.
That's true, although as you can see my point of disagreement is on the importance, i wasn't trying to introduce a new reason.

And as Andy has mentioned, many rcbos are single pole.

The case in my example was.

Rcbo 32a upstream. Switching live line.
Fuse downstream in neutral. 7A (to protect 1mm T&E)

Last edited:
Are you saying you have a 1mm T&E on a 32A circuit without a fused spur facility feeding the 1mm "low current" circuits ?

That's true, although as you can see my point of disagreement is on the importance, i wasn't trying to introduce a new reason.
Oh, fair enough. I certainly wouldn't argue about which is the 'more important', since I personally would say that they both are (important) - and I was therefore probably wrong to write what I did about relative importance.
And as Andy has mentioned, many rcbos are single pole.
Indeed - but I'm not sure of the relevance of that. As Andy himself added, even a single-pole one would break the 'live' (in response to an L-E fault), so I don't really understand what that has got to do with the discussion about a 'fused neutral' - what am I missing?

Kind Regards, John

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back