Fuses

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I like to buy old things and I am unsure what fuse to use as some items don't have a plug on and no label with the wattage on. So what would happen if I put a 13amp fuse in something that only needed a 5amp or if I put a 3amp in something that needed a 13amp:rolleyes:

Sponsored Links
You run the risk of the flex/appliance wiring becoming damaged beyond repair in the event of an overload or short circuit and the more worrying fact that this could lead to a FIRE!!

13amp in something that needs 5amp = a fault developes and the cable or accessory are likely to flame or you do the electrocution dance with the fuse not blowing.

5amp in something that requires 13amp = fuse will probably blow when accessory is turned on.

comms said:
13amp in something that needs 5amp = a fault developes and the cable or accessory are likely to flame or you do the electrocution dance with the fuse not blowing.

5amp in something that requires 13amp = fuse will probably blow when accessory is turned on.

So the best thing to do is use a low watt fuse and if it blows then try the next one up

Sponsored Links
Jackya said:
So the best thing to do is use a low watt fuse and if it blows then try the next one up

Not really as the correct size fuse blowing would indicate the presence of a fault.

So if there is nothing to say what the wattage is how do I find out what fuse to use.

Jackya said:
So if there is nothing to say what the wattage is how do I find out what fuse to use.

take a look on the plug itself, you may find the fuse rating stamped on it between the pins, this is assuming the plug hasnt been changed at some point.

What it the plug connected to ?

As a rule of thumb, a lamp just needs a 3A fuse, almost everything else will use 5A.

Only something with a large heating element (fires, kettles, toasters) will need 13A.

Even old appliances usually have a makers plate on them that should tell you something about its power requirements.

If it has old round-pin plugs, familiarise yourself with the size old old 2A, 5A and 15A plugs.

Could try measuring the resistance of the appliance, with a multimeter instrument, and calculate the power rating accordingly.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back