Fxing to metal studwork

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all
Long story short. Friend got someone to divide 1 room into 2 and he did it with metal studwork. It's all done and plastered. She now wants me to fit a couple of door casings and doors. I have never worked with metal studwork.
What is the best way to fix the wooden 4" door casing to the metal? What fixing do I need?
Thanks all :D

Sponsored Links
havnt done much with this stuff either,but would think you have to find 1 upright and try and work from there,maybe even build a sub frame within the metal studs to take the door linings???

Thanks for your reply
The uprights are there, they have done it properly. It has a metal lining in the opening. Guessing that there only thin pieces of metal so will need some sort of self tapping screws, but same as you never used it once.
Don't want to fit the casings & doors only to find them popping out when the kids slam their door in a tantrum :LOL:

Sponsored Links
Gyprock screws go into this stuff without drilling, I'm not a great fan of this stuff but I guess that's a starting point, short of doing major take down,My instinctive feeling would be to foam the the frame in just for insurance always assuming that the rest of the stud is strong enough to take it

Thanks all
Not measured the opening yet but if there is room I will put some packers in and get some foam behind to try and secure it a but more.
Cheers all, thanks for the advice, i'll pick some of them screws up.
Why are even the simple jobs never bloody simple lol

I helped build a Gyproc metal studwork in a church some years ago. Bloody great 6" wide stuff. We were blocking off one end and this had a double door built into the framework. As others have said, the frame was fixed into position,(screwed from behind and through the metalwork) before the plasterboard was screwed on to the studwork.
I have used the smaller stuff before, but only on council house refurbs where the studwork was placed against all external walls and insulated, before covering with the plasterboard. ;) ;)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back