G3 required?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am moving and the new house that has tank in the loft for a vented cylinder. I plan to change it to a thermal store, preferably unvented. Since I prefer things DIY, my understanding is that you do not require G3 certification for an unvented store if you use a plate exchanger, but you do if you use a tank with a DHW coil greater than 15 litres.

Is that correct?

Sponsored Links
G3 does not apply to a hot water storage system of 15ltrs or less at mains pressure, so yes, a plate heat exchanger is generally well under 15ltrs. Although your terminology is slightly off as you I read your post as a “Unvented Thermal Store” - clarify the product you wish to install.

Please be aware, all cylinders need to be notified to building control ;)

Thank you for your reply. I have not moved yet, but I am just trying to get plans together before I talk to the local building control at the new place, as I may have a small window of opportunity to do some renos before we move in.

Originally I was going to get something called a "hygienic storage Buffer tank": http://plumbingsupplies24.co.uk/hygienic-buffer-storage-tank-vertical/

But the DHW coil in the OEG is over the limit at 20 liters. It has 4.1 square meters surface area, and I don't want to go much lower than that, because I would like run the tank around 55C. I am not sure if there are any tanks with coils below the 15 liter mark that have that much area. The OEG has a corrugated stainless coil, and it is pretty wide (1-1/4" NPT), so a thinner but longer one should be possible.

By unvented thermal store I meant a store that runs at 1.5-2.0 bar, as opposed to a vented one with a tank on top. I am not sure of the correct term for that.

Last edited:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back